Chapter 2-Being an Adult...Sort of

Peter put the last box of his stuff in the back of his car. He was worried that his trunk wouldn't close, but luckily it did. May walked outside to see him off.
"Is that everything?" she asked while looking inside his car.
"Yep," he replied. "That's everything. Please don't hesitate to sell anything that I forgot."
She laughed. "I'll hold you to that, dear." May then pulled him into a hug and gave him a kiss on his cheek. "Oh, Peter," she said, beginning to cry. "You're an adult now..."
He patted her back and comforted her. "Aunt May, I'll always be your little science boy."
May laughed through her tears. "Of course you will." She placed her hands on his face. "And I'll always be your Aunt May."
He kissed her forehead and entered his car. Before he pulled off, he rolled down his window. "Hey, May."
She looked at him with concern. "Yes, Peter?"
"I just want to say...thank you." He fought back his tears. "You're the best mom a kid could ever have."
She smiled and wiped the single tear away from her cheek. "And you're the best son anyone could ever have. Ben thought that, too."
He simply nodded, because if he said anything, he was going to start crying. Pete waved her goodbye, pulled out of the driveway, and headed to Harry's mansion.
May watched her boy leave. "Godspeed, my little Spider-Man," she said quietly.

Pete pulled up into Harry's humongous driveway. There was a lot of memories in that house. He and Harry played up and down that house day in and day out. They could get away with anything, partly because Norman and Ben were always busy with their work. Peter still couldn't believe that he was about to move in with his best friend.
He exited the car and looked at the front doors. Harry walked out with two of his butlers. "Peter," he greeted, "welcome to your new home."
He and Pete did their secret handshake and then gave each other a hug. "Um, where do I need to put my car?" Peter asked.
"Oh," Harry replied, "don't worry about that. Bernard and Alan will take care of everything."
"Are you sure? Because I can carry stuff."
Harry patted his back. "Pete, they're called butlers for a reason." Peter cautiously gave them his car keys, and they went and parked it in Harry's six car garage. Harry headed up the stairs to the front doors. "C'mon, Pete. Let me show you where you'll be staying."
He followed Harry to a bedroom that looked strangely familiar. "Isn't this your bedroom?" he asked.
"Used to be..." Harry corrected. "I finished moving into dad's old room yesterday. I know it's not much, but it should accommodate you."
Peter looked around at the giant sleeping quarters. "Are you kidding me? This room is bigger than May's dining room. It'll be perfect."
"That's great, bud. It's the least I can do." Soon, Bernard and Alan came in with Peter's stuff on a cart.
"Mr. Parker, where do you want this?" Bernard asked.
Peter gestured near the bed. "By the bed is fine, guys. I'll unpack everything." Harry nodded at them and gestured them to leave.
"Thanks, guys," Harry said. "Okay, Pete, you unpack, and after you're good and settled we'll set up for the party tonight."
"Sounds good," Peter replied while smiling. Harry left and shut the door behind him. Peter opened the first box and saw what May had placed on top. It was a picture of him and Ben. He was still a toddler in the photo, and Ben was sitting with him blowing bubbles.
The picture brought a warm feeling to Pete. He placed the picture on the dresser next to his bed. "I made it, Ben," he said. "I made it."

It had been a couple hours after Harry and Peter set up for the party. People from their school had already arrived, and who knew how many of them were already drunk. He just got through changing into his "party clothes" as Harry called them (which was a white t-shirt, button-down shirt, and blue jeans). Harry busted into his room with a beer in his hand.
"Hey, party animal!" he shouted, obviously having drank a few already. "You ready to party?"
Peter laughed at his friend's drunkenness. "I guess so, dude." He was about to head out there, but he stopped Harry before he could open the door. "Wait," be said.
Harry was confused. "What is it?"
"Is MJ out there?"
Harry shook his head. "No I don't think so. She said that she was coming, though."
Peter shook his head. "Harry, I'm not sure about this. I haven't seen her in three years. Do you remember what I said about Madonna?"
Harry laughed out loud. He was VERY drunk. "Peter, if she's out there, I doubt that she turned into a crazy Madonna. Now, come on. Let's party." Harry pushed the doors open and the sound of dance music filled Peter's ears. Harry grabbed a microphone from a nearby table and put it to his lips. "The life of the party is here!" Harry yelled. "Peter Benjamin Parker!"
Everybody cheered, obviously not having any idea who he was, but simply cheering because they were drunk and Harry yelled. Peter went through the crowd and walked out the front doors. Harry might have been his best friend, but his parties just weren't his forte. Peter didn't drink alcohol and he sure didn't want to be around any drunk people.
After he got outside, he took out his phone. While looking through his contacts, he saw one that he hadn't called in a while. It would be nice to talk to someone during his loneliness outside. He hesitated for a second and pressed the call button.
Gwen looked felt her phone buzz. She looked at the contact, and was surprised to see who it was. She answered it and placed her phone to her ear. "Hey, Pete," she greeted. "What's up?"
"Hey, Gwen," he replied awkwardly. "Um, nothing much. Just having fun at a party, you know."
Gwen could hear the dance music in the background. Of course Peter was calling her. It was a Harry Osborn party. "Harry throwing a party?"
He smiled. "How'd you guess?"
"You've never liked parties with drinking, ever," she said. "That was something that we always had in common.
"Yeah..." Peter said with a chuckle. "So, um, how have things been with you?"
Gwen thought of something that could make him sort of envious. "Oh, I've been good. I started seeing this new guy at my school, Alex."
That stung Peter. "Oh, yeah? That's great..."
"Yeah..."
There was an awkward silence between them. Gwen thought of telling him right then. It was perfect timing.
"Peter," she started, "I have something to um...tell you."
Peter wondered what it was. "Um, okay. What is it?"
Gwen wanted the words to come out of her mouth. She wanted to tell him about her new powers, but she just couldn't give them away yet.
"Um... Never mind, I'll uh...it's nothing. I'll talk to you later okay?"
Peter felt anxious and stung from that short conversation. "Oh, uh...okay. Talk to you later."
"Bye, Pete." She hung up quickly before he could say anything else. Gwen hated being away from Peter. She hated that she couldn't stay with him as a couple...hated that she couldn't be in love with him. She just didn't want to see him hurt when she told him about her powers...which were his fault to begin with.
Peter looked at his phone in disbelief and disappointment. What did she want to tell him? Did she still love him? Did she hate him? What was wrong?
Peter put his phone back in his pocket and let out a sigh. Someone walked up to him, whom he saw in his peripheral vision. Something about them was...familiar. He turned and looked at the girl with beautiful bouncy red hair. She wore a yellow blouse and blue jeans.
She winked at him. "It's been a while...tiger."
"...MJ?"