eighteen

Sada
Christmas Day

"Maddy, wake up." I whisper shaking her body. She groans and swats me away.

"Go away Mandi." She mumbles tiredly and I sigh loudly falling onto the bed next to her.

"Come on Maddison!"

"Sada please go away!" She grumbles with irritation in her voice. I smack my lips and thump her ear. I hop off her bed and leave her room to go to mine.

"Mommy she's not budging." I yell from my door and plop back onto my bed.

Maddy came Sunday night after my friends went home. I forced her and my mom to talk but it hasn't really changed much. Maddy is still distant from her and my mother continues to try. Hopefully she'll come around.

I hop off my bed, grabbing my phone, feeling the need to meditate and make my way out to the backyard. I grab my mat from the basket by the door. I lay it out directly under the sun and get myself into a comfortable position. I focus on my breathing and the sight of my surroundings before I close my eyes. Once my eyes are closed, I take in the sound of my surroundings still taking deep breaths.

I listen to the leaves blow in the wind and the birds chirping. The sound of cars honking not too far away and the faint sound of a frog near by. My mind drifts away to a complete blankness and I feel my body get lighter. I sit in the blankness and pull myself back to something else. This time I focus on how my body feels, I wiggle my toes and focus on the air blowing between them. I focus on the pressure between my thumb and index finger, the prickle of the grass from under my mat, tightness in my knees and the beating of my heart.

After I feel content I flutter my eyes open and smile. I sit still in my position for a few more seconds until I prop my phone up on the rock by me. I pull up my camera to record my daily yoga routine; since I'd promised my followers I would.

Ten minutes or so I finish and retreat back into my house. I grab a bottle of water from the fridge and sit on the floor by our couch. I pull up Instagram and post a few clips from my yoga routine and a picture I screenshotted from my video.

After doing that I leave my phone on the floor to go shower and get ready for the day, the fact that it's Christmas slipped me mind just like that

I walk into my bathroom and see Maddy is finally up. I smile at her brushing her teeth and silently strip from my clothing.

"Mandi! Cover yourself." She shrieks covering her eyes and I shrug.

"You're so dramatic." I step into the shower and slide the glass door shut. I turn on the water and wince at the cold water hitting my bare body.

"I'm not dramatic. I don't want to see your vagina." I roll my eyes and mock her silently.

"We all have em child." My mother says as she passes by the door.