Chapter Ten

AN: Hello everyone! So we'll be starting off with Stefan and then switching gears. Hope you all enjoy! Be sure to drop some comments as you read! Now onward and forward to Chapter Ten!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

*Stefan*

I looked at the man with no fear in my eyes. He didn't scare me even if he did have a crossbow pointed at me.

"And who the hell are you?" I asked.

"I'm the guy that's finally going to take out the King of Night," the man replied.

"Good luck with that," I smirked. He shot an arrow at me, but I grabbed it and tossed it aside, feeling the burn on my skin as I did. Curses. The arrows were laced with Hawthorn.

I went into the woods surrounding Whiteshore and managed to lose the Hunter. Then I made my way back to my apartment. As I walked through the streets, I thought about what had just happened.

I had to have been tracked here. I'd been here for weeks now and hadn't seen a single Hunter before tonight. They had to have tracked me. And given my mindset when I had ran from Blackfell, I may not have been careful enough to take the necessary precautions to avoid the Hunters. The fact that they had tracked me down though was odd. There was a much larger prize waiting for them in Cygnus Keep, why were they wasting their time on me. Unless...

I pulled out my phone and called Damien.

He answered on the first ring.

"What's going on in Cygnus Keep?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" Damien asked.

"I mean I was attacked tonight and I'd like to know if there's something going on in Cygnus Keep that could explain it," I replied.

Damien sighed and began explaining. He told me about the Hawthorn fields and how our scouts had burned them. He told me how the Hunters had killed vampires in retaliation for the burning of the Hawthorn field.

"Are you alright?" he asked, after finishing his explanation.

"I'm fine," I assured him.

"How did they find you?" he asked.

"That's what I'd like to know," I replied.

Damien sighed.

"We suspect that there might be a traitor in Cygnus Keep," Damien told me.

"Another one? Really Damien?" I asked, "I suppose it makes sense though."

"Do you feel like you need to come home?" Damien asked.

"No, it was just one Hunter," I told him, "I'll be fine."

"Stefan...frate, would it be alright if I sent Cal to stay with you and watch your back?" Damien asked, "It'd make me feel a lot better."

"Fine," I relented, "I'll text Cal my location."

"I'll let him know," Damien told me.