Chapter Four

AN: So we have an introduction to a new character in this chapter and I'd like to say a big thank you to @McKraven for suggesting this new character's name to me on the community pages. Hope you all enjoy! And as always be sure to drop some comments as you read! Now onward and forward to Chapter Four!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

*Stefan*

I turned and saw a young woman with brown hair and amber coloured eyes. The tips of her hair had been dyed a deep red. There was a man standing in front of her, who I assumed had been harassing her. He towered over her, making her seem small, but this feisty little creature seemed like she could handle herself. Still, I felt the need to go over there and at least try to help her.

I got up off the bar stool and strode over to the girl. I stepped in front of her and turned to the man.

"Is there a problem here?" I asked.

"Back off man, this is none of your business," the man growled.

"Maybe, but I'm pretty sure I heard her tell you to take your hands off her, which makes me think you were harassing her," I stated.

"Excuse me?" a voice called from behind me. I turned slightly and saw that the girl had her arms crossed and was looking at me. "Hi. Yeah, it's the twenty first century, pal," she told me, "Which means you don't need to come over here and save me like I'm some damsel in distress, okay? I can fight my own battles."

I was surprised by her words and watched in silence as she shouted at the man before slapping him across the face. I was just trying to be nice to her. She grabbed her coat and made to leave, but something inside me made me stop her.

"Wait!" I called out, "Can I at least walk you home or call a cab for you?"

"What part of 'I'm not some damsel in distress' didn't you get?" she asked me.

"Look I'm just trying to be nice," I told her.

She examined my expression, trying to figure out whether I was lying or not I suppose. She finally sighed.

"Sorry, I guess I'm so used to guys trying to be all chivalrous to a girl only to turn around and take advantage of her," she admitted.

"It's fine," I assured her, "I get it."

"I guess you could walk me back to my building," she told me.

We walked outside and went down the dimly lit street, not really in any real hurry.

"So Mr. Tall, Dark, and Mysterious, I don't think I've ever seen you around Whiteshore before," she told me, "What's your name?"

Her comment was so funny and for the first time in three weeks, my lips curved up into a smile. God, who was she? I had to know.

"Stefan Drake," I replied, "And you are?"

"Emberly Clark," she told me, "But you can call me Em if you want to. How long have you lived in Whiteshore?"

"I just got here a couple of weeks ago," I replied, "I needed some time to myself I suppose." That was an understatement. I had left home in the middle of the night and didn't tell a soul. I had literally run away from home.