Chapter 44 ~I'm Sorry~

AN: Wow! An update! Bet you didn't expect this! This story suddenly had a random surge of reads again after a long time, so I figured I'd treat you all for still being so amazing after all this time. <3

--------------------

I knew that doing this wasn't the best idea. Going to the police about gang activity that I both knew about and was involved in could get me, the love of my life and all of my best friends in trouble. A lot of trouble. But I didn't know another way out of this. Even Michael didn't know that I had gone to the police to tell them about the fight. And he was the one that told me that I had some sort of power to shut it down in the first place. If they knew, they'd never let me do it. A little for my own sake, but mostly for their own. And I didn't blame them for it, but I was trying to save their lives whether they knew it or not. Sometimes you have to give tough love.

Harry was waiting in his car for me once I was done at the police station. "So what happened?" he asked once I got in the passenger seat and buckled up.

"Nice to see you too." I said sarcastically although it was only joking.

"Sorry, love." he smiled, letting out a breath. He leaned over the center console to kiss me on the cheek. "Did everything go ok?"

"Yeah, everything was fine. I just told them that the guy that had cut me had come out of nowhere and that we were just walking around town when it happened. i think they believed me." At the very least, I found it difficult to lie to Harry and I think that's a good thing. I really had to think about my words.

"It would have been better if you didn't get caught up in any of that at all. We could have gotten in a lot of trouble for that."

"They don't know anything about us." I frowned. "Are you mad?" I asked. Usually something like this would make Harry bitter to me for almost a week. But he seemed to be ok. Maybe this wasn't such a bad idea, after all.

"Mad at you?" he scoffed. "Never. I have better things to be doing with my time." he answered, pulling out of the parking lot.

"Oh yeah?" I asked with a smirk. "What's on that list?"

"You." he answered simply.

"I don't think so." I laughed, pretending to punch his arm as he drove.

"I'm glad you're out of your funk." he smiled and me lovingly. If he only knew... Would he be mad? Probably. I felt guilty but tried to suppress that feeling. "I didn't like not talking to you."

"I'm glad too." I said, resting my head on his shoulder despite the fact that it was uncomfortable to lean so far across the center console.

"I was beginning to think that you had a thing for Michael. You were spending so much time with him instead of me." Harry said. He kept his eyes on the road as he said this so I knew that it made him uncomfortable, but it made me happy that he made an effort to communicate anyway. Being vulnerable made him so uncomfortable, but sometimes you have to be. I liked the fact that he was jealous, on the other hand. It reminded me that he still loved me just like he did at the beginning.

"Seriously?" I rolled my eyes, but I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. "You're insane. Michael's basically a girl." I said.

"And just what is that supposed to mean?"

"Well, I don't mean he's girly. He's definitely boyish. Sometimes disgustingly boyish... But he's just like one of my girl friends. I just mean that he's so easy to talk to. He's like my best friend. I feel like I can tell him absolutely anything. He makes me feel like I'm a teenager again."