Chapter 40 ~Snare~

Author's Note: I'm honestly so sorry that I never write. I know that I suck but I'm actually a really, really busy person. I've been trying to finish my portfolio (bc I'm applying to art school lol) I started applying last night, but I got really motivated to write, so here I am. On winter break so hopefully I'll have time to at least write one or two more chapters.

--------------------------------------

Harry's POV

"Turn in right here!" Michael bellowed. I jerked the steering wheel and the tires screeched as I pulled into an old church.

"What makes you think he'll be here?" Charlotte asked from the passenger seat.

"He comes here all the time, especially when he's freaked out about something. He comes here when his parents fight." Michael panted.

"Stay in the car, ok?" I said. Of course, Michael was already out the door. "Stop!" I yelled getting out of the car. "Charlotte, stay in the car. I'm serious." I demanded, locking her in. At least she listens to me. Most of the time... I followed Michael to the front of the church. He sprinted up the wooden steps and burst in through the front doors, nearly falling on his face as he did so.

"Calum!" he yelled. "Calum where are you!?"

"Michael, how do you even know he's in here?" I asked. I hadn't hear or seen Calum yet, but Michael seemed sure that he was in here somewhere. I stepped through the front door and saw Michael pointing at a pew. I walked to where Michael stood and looked down at the pew. Blood. And there was a lot of it.

"Calum!" I yelled. "Calum, where the fuck are you!?"

"We need to split up." Michael insisted, sprinting down the aisle. I searched down all the pews and found nothing. There wasn't many places to look. Michael was searching behind the stage. I slid underneath the stage and found nothing but cobwebs, baskets and dust covered and unopened crackers. "Calum?!" Michael shouted as if he had heard him. I heard Michael's heavy footsteps just above my head on stage. I slid out from under the stage and watched Michael race over to a door. The door was locked but Michael kicked it as hard as he could and the wood splintered as a hole was smashed through the door. Michael ripped the door open, throwing the old wood on the floor. "I've got him!" Michael yelled and I scrambled to get up off of the floor.

"Calum, what the hell!?" I yelled. Michael pulled him from the tiny storage closet and dragged him to a pew to lean against. Calum's left eye was swollen shut and the other one was blood shot. Dried blood covered most of his face. You could still see the dark, finger shaped bruises on his neck. Even though it'd been days. "Calum, are you ok?" I asked, kneeling down next to him. He tried to turn his head to respond. He couldn't. Michael took his jacket off and put it around Calum, who was remarkably cold.

"I-" he tried to breathe in, but it was masked as a scratching wheeze. He smelled like shit. His shirt was covered in what I imagined to be throw up.

"Calum, we need to get you out of here, let's go." I said, trying to get him off of the ground.

"N- no." he whined.

"I don't really care if you're scared of getting in trouble or whatever the issue is. You didn't do anything to anyone and you're going to die if you stay here."

"I- I don't...care" he coughed in between choking back tears.

"Calum, I'm sorry. I was just trying to protect you." Michael said, also trying not to cry. I rolled my eyes. This reunion was all far too emotional for me. I was planning on dragging Calum between Michael and I, with his arms around our shoulders, but that obviously wasn't going to work. He couldn't move at all. I forced my arms under Calum's and lifted him from the ground. I tossed him over my shoulder and tried to manage to get through the front door of the church, with Michael following behind me. he was still trying to talk to Calum, but Calum must've been irritated at Michael because he was refusing to answer. Charlotte jumped out of the car and opened the back door. I set Calum down, buckled him in and climbed back in the driver's seat.