Chapter 49 ~Free~

The morning of the verdict, Michael had spent the night at Harry's house with us. I walked into the living room where he was sleeping with a glass of water and a little bit of breakfast. "How are you doing?" I asked, sitting down next to him.

"I never fell asleep last night." he grumbled.

"I can see that." He did honestly look like shit. He had dark circles under his eyes and even though he had, it looked like he hadn't showered in days either. "Ok," I sighed. I felt horrible for him. I can't imagine being in his situation, not knowing whether you were going to come home or go to prison after court. "Well, I'm going to make some coffee for you. Why don't you take a shower? Maybe brush your hair..."

"Aww, you think I'm ugly, Charlie?"

"I didn't say you were ugly." I tried to muster a joking tone, but I felt so empathetic for him that it was hard to do. "You would probably look less guilty though if they think that you've slept last night."

"Sorry if I'm cranky today." he muttered as he headed toward the bathroom.

"It's ok. I understand." I sighed. Harry met me in the kitchen as I got the coffee started.

"Is Michael being a dick?"

"We can't blame him," I answered, softly. "He could very well be in a prison cell at the end of the night."

"That's not going to happen." Harry assured me.

"And why are you so confident about that?"

"I just think that the court is going to see the truth."

"Why would they see the truth now if they haven't seen it the whole time? Out of all people, you should know how corrupt the whole system is." I was trying not to get irritated with him, but I'd feel better about it if we were all sharing the burden.

"I know you're taking the weight of this, thinking it's going to help Michael. But don't accuse me of anything."

"I'm not. I'm sorry..." I sighed. "I know I'm crazy."

"You're not crazy. You're a good friend." he wrapped his arms around my shoulders and continued on. "And you're understanding. And empathetic. Michael's lucky to have you as a friend. I'm just making sure that he realizes that. That's all."

"You're an evolved man, you know." I smiled and kissed his arm lightly when I was able to reach it. "I hope that you know that I am completely aware of how lucky I am to have YOU. You're a good friend. And you're understanding. And you're empathetic."

"If only someone loved ME." Michael complained loudly, coming back into the kitchen, wearing just a towel.

"Maybe you should stay fully dressed in my house?" Harry suggested.

"Don't worry, Styles. Believe me, Charlie isn't interested." Michael said. I almost spit my coffee back into the cup. Harry glared at him but bit his tongue, which I'm sure was for my own sake. "She likes scarier, meaner guys."

"Hey," I interrupted Michael. "You have no idea how hard he's trying to not to explode right now, Mike. Maybe you should cool it if you want to actually appear in court today..?"

"I know how hard he's trying." Michael grinned. "That's what makes it fun."

"Drink your coffee and shut the fuck up." Harry shoved the coffee mug into his hand and walked back toward the bedroom to get dressed. Michael started giggling and elbowed me in the side. I looked at him, wanting to glare at him too but I couldn't resist joining in on his laughter.

"Do you always have to do that to him?" I asked, but instead of responding, Michael just continued to grin at me.

"If I do go to prison, you'll come visit me sometimes, right?"