Chapter 5 ~Opposites~

I woke up and looked at the clock on the wall, across the room. Nine in the morning. Even when Styles is asleep he looks mad. At least he's consistant. His eyebrows furrowed as if he were glaring with his eyes closed. I shifted to adjust my sleeve that was slipping down, causing him to stir and wake up. "Morning." I said. I was almost surprised to find that he wasn't staring at me the whole time I was asleep. I was glad for it. He groaned and sat up, looking around. He checked his phone and sighed. "i'll be back a while later or something. I can't avoid these idiots forever." he said before disappearing. Even though he had been so nice, it still felt like I could take a deep breath when he left.

"Just a few more hours and we can go home, Piper." my mom beamed. 

"I want to go home. I'm sick of laying here." Piper rambled on. I sat in the corner and tried to read but I couldn't stop thinking about Styles.

"Charlotte." my dad grumbled and I looked up. "Do you ever put your book down? Your sister's in the hospital."

"What do you want me to do? Stare at her and cry? She's fine, Dad." I rolled my eyes and stood up, leaving the room again. God, it was like they didn't even want me here. 

"Charlotte, why are you out here?" Styles asked. I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard his voice. I narrowed my eyes, inspecting him. His black t-shirt had a rusty stain on the shoulder, his knuckles were bloody and he had quite a bruise on his wrist.  He had another thing coming if he thought that we were going to be friends or something. 

"Are you ok?" I asked. Styles nodded once, smiling lightly at me, reassuringly. "But you're hurt."

"I heal fast." he quickly reminded me, touching my knee. For some reason, I didn't flinch like I had earlier when we touched for the first time. I knew he wasn't going to hurt me. But that doesn't mean I trusted him. He was still more than willing to hurt other people and I would never willingly spend time with someone like that. He sat down in the chair next to me, propping one leg up on the other knee. "Have you uh- got anything to read?" he asked.

'Yeah. Paper Towns, the last Harry Potter book or The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn." 

"I'll take Huckleberry Finn."

"Good choice." I smirked, handing the book over. My thoughts were so conflicting. He brought his bottom lip between his teeth in concentration as he read. It felt like I was having some sort of vision. I've never seen anyone of the male gender sit down and read a book like this. I knew that, of course, there were boys out there that read, but I come from a very small town high school, so I'd never seen it, personally.

"Done." he proclaimed hours later. "Now, you never answered my question before. Why are you out here and not in there?" he asked.

"My dad yelled at me for reading instead of drooling over my sister in her dire time of need. I don't know why it's such a big deal."

"But it's just a  snake bite."

"I know." I puffed. "That's what I said before I got thrown out. Now tell me. Why are you here?" I frowned.

"I said I'd come back, didn't I? Besides, I like knowing that you're safe."

"Do you not understand how creepy that sounds?! If you're trying to make me feel safe, you probably shouldn't constantly hint that I'm being hunted."

"I mean..."

"Why would they be after me anyway!?"

"Because I didn't let them kill you. That's why. Now they're on my back all the time, trying to figure out why."

"Just tell them that you wanted to kill me yourself. I'll probably never see them again anyway."

"I'm not going to do that." he said. I sighed and turned away from him. Now I was mad all over again. "Charlotte, look at me. I'm sorry."