Chapter 7 ~Fractured~

The boy in the heavy, white covers that were reheated every half hour or so to keep his body temperature normal with cords and tubes strung up all over his body brought more tears to my eyes. I didn't even have time to be afraid of Louis like I did with Styles. We were shoved into the same scary world, worrying about the boy in front of us. Styles didn't look angry as he slept like he normally does. He looked vulnerable now, for once in his lifetime. Childlike to say the least. However he also looked almost unrecognizable with bruises and bandages covering nearly every part of his body that was currently visible. This couldn't be the same boy that sat with my in the hospital waiting room just hours ago. I sat in a chair next to him and held one of his larger hands in both of mine. For a second, I imagined him waking up and yanking my wrists, bringing me into a choke hold, but it was only a second before it vanished... He would never do something like that and I know it.

"Harry," I started, brushing his hair back from his forehead. "I hope it's ok that I called you that." I whispered, thankful that Louis wasn't calling me crazy for speaking to an unconscious person. "I am so sorry." I said, kissing his cheek. "If I would've known..." I ran my thumb across the back of his hand. The problem is that I did know. I knew that this was going to happen. Of course it was but he wouldn't let me stay with him. I tried time and time again, but he sent me away. But I shouldn't have listened. I should not have listened for once. That was not the type of thing that I should have agreed to. I bet he didn't even want me to. I bet he wanted me to say no and stay with him. He probably won't even want to be friends when he wakes up. I betrayed him. I bit my lip and sighed lightly. I pushed a stray strand of his hair back with the rest of it.

"I'll be right back." Louis growled through clenched teeth and stormed out, letting the door slam behind him.

"He's just upset. I think he really cares about you. Probably more than you know." I told Harry, running my thumb over his cheek and went back to holding his hand . His knuckles had nasty scabs on them. But I didn't know if that was from the day we tried to get breakfast or from his run in with Marcus. "I'm sorry." I said again, kissing each one of his knuckles. I sucked in a shaky breath and sighed, letting it out again. This is all my fault. I'm what Marcus and Harry were fighting about. Me. If Harry hadn't known me, Marcus probably would have just left him alone. Or at least, Harry wouldn't have reacted so harshly. He should have just left it alone. I'd be fine if Marcus called me whatever he wanted to. It definitely wasn't worth this happening to Harry. I rocked back and forth in my chair, trying to keep myself from crying. There was a lump in my throat that I could not swallow. The door flew open, making me jump.

"Sorry." Louis breathed, sitting down in the chair next to me. I studied him, trying to decide where he went or what he did. His eyes were red and tears flowed freely down his face now. His knuckles had drops of blood beading on them. Just like Harry had done before. These two had serious anger issues to work through. "He's my best friend." Louis said, pushing his fists into his eyes, trying to stop the crying.

"Hey, it's ok." I said. I didn't know the depth of their friendship, but I could imagine that it's the same pain as mine, only magnified even more. Hell, I barely even knew Harry. I'm sure he and Louis have been friends for years. Boys and their fear of crying. I watched as he furiously swiped at his eyes, trying to make the tears stop. He refused to make eye contact with me as if I would laugh at him for crying. Like I haven't been crying for hours in front of Louis. I shook my head and looked back at Harry.

"Charlotte, I think he really likes you too. H- He's never remotely liked anyone. Hell, he's hated everyone he's come in contact with for years. He's very much troubled. But he sees something in you and he just can't get enough. It's weird, I know... Especially me telling you this instead of him, but this whole situation is weird... He needs us right now. He needs you. So much." Louis said in a rush, trying to get it all out before the lump in his own throat stopped him from speaking. "God damn it. That sounded so girly, but you're a girl. I guess that's what you needed to hear." I remembered him saying that he grew up in a family with a lot of girls. He was probably used to saying things that were "girly" to him, even though they were just kind.

"Thank you." I whispered, hugging him. He stiffened up at my hug as if he weren't expecting this. Neither of them liked being touched much... I felt bad for them. To be so messed up inside that they're afraid of anyone touching them. "You have no idea how much that means to me." I sighed, looking back at Harry somberly.

"I'm sorry. We have to take him now." the same doctor said, stepping back into the room.

"What? No!" I panicked.

"His vitals are getting low. He needs to go." the doctor said. I could see Louis looking at me sympathetically from the corner of my eyes. He must understand, but I'm sure he also doesn't want me to cause a scene.

"Wha- no- no. When will I- I mean we- get to see him again?"

"Charlotte." Louis tried to sooth, but I pushed him away from me, despite the fact that he was only trying to help me.

We can't say anything for sure right now. Usually, patients in his condition stay in the ICU for about five weeks or so. That would be lucky though and take a dramatic recovery to achieve. He could be looking at more than eight weeks here... It all depends. So much is up in the air. It's tough with these... these situations." That wasn't at all what I wanted to hear, but she made it sound like it was better than what most people could expect in his condition.

"Is he going to die?" I asked.

"I hate to say that he has a fifty-fifty chance, but it's true. Everyone in this condition does. He either wakes up... or he doesn't. But he seems strong. Go home and get some rest. Leave your number and we'll call you two and his mother with any updates. She's on her way down- maybe just a bit too late, but... Anyways, you two have three minutes to say see ya later. His vitals are dropping very quickly. We'll do whatever we can to help him. We'll try anything to keep him alive. I'm sorry." the nurse walked out of the room to give us a minute to say goodbye.

"See you soon, mate. Get better for me and Charlotte." Louis choked. "I'll be waiting in the car, Charlotte." Louis said, walking out, leaving only Harry and I. I looked down at him and took both his hands in mine.

"Please be okay. Get better for me, for Louis and the other boys, for everyone. I need you so much, Harry. Maybe I didn't know you a week ago but I know you now and it just wouldn't be enough... Just days is not enough time with you. I need months, years... Nothing can go back to the way it was if you die. I need you. You protect me. You make me happy and I see myself in you. I used to be afraid of you. I was so scared of you. That was before I knew you. That was before I knew that you cared about me. I need you to stay. For me. For Louis. He's your best friend and you don't want him to have to see his best friend die. And I can't lose you. Everything has changed since you came around and it can't go back to the way it was. You've changed me. Please." I whimpered. I stood up and brushed off, for no apparent reason. It's not like I had suddenly accumulated a bunch of dirt on my pants "Come back to me. Please... I need to thank you for saving my life. You don't even know how grateful I am. Please wake up." I pleaded. "See you soon."

-----------------------

Author's Note: Sorry for another short chapter. I just thought I should keep it short because a lot happened in it. Will Harry be ok? What do you guys think?

Thank you so much for reading this! It means a lot to me! I love you!

~Peyt xx