Chapter 11 ~Apologize~

"You never realize how much someone means to you... even your best friend until you almost lose them" Louis smiled a few moments after we had left the room. I looked at him, taking in his red, watery eyes now.

"It touched you that much? Haven't you always been best friends, though?" Maybe it was a stupid question. They met each other in a gang, after all. Maybe I shouldn't have asked.

"No, no. Not at all. I was the last to join the gang. Naturally, I was the runt. They all immediately took a disliking to me, because they thought that Numbers, was going to be the last. It was pretty much a closed party. Well, I showed up, wanting to be able to provide for my family more or less. Anyways, everyone hated me, even Harry. He may have accepted me enough to let me on, but he was still incredibly harsh on me at first. He acted like he wanted me dead. Always setting me up with guys who I wasn't quite ready for yet. But after a while, I realized that Harry was just pushing all the big guys on me because he wanted me to get trained up fast- faster than the others to prove to the them that I had every right to be there. Now I'm second in command and they're scared of me. We're all on good terms now, but Harry got me where I am today. I can't thank him enough." Louis said, wiping away stray tears from his face. "I don't cry. I've cried so much while Harry was in here. I've cried two other times in my whole entire life that I can remember before Harry got put in here. Now it seems that it's all I'm doing. I can't wait until he gets out and I can stop this madness." Louis chuckled. I was amazed at the fact that this boy just told me most of his backstory. I'd only known him for a few weeks and he had completely opened up to me.

"Thanks for telling me that, Louis. I'm glad that you feel like you're able to open up to me." I smiled, wishing that Harry could do the same. That sounded really awkward- Like I was his therapist or something. I blushed involuntarily, wishing that I could take it back, but he brushed it off.

"Well, now I see you as a friend too." he smiled.

"I agree." I grinned bright, wrapping my arms around him. He seemed like a best friend from the movies. To think that this was a tough guy from a stray gang off of the streets. I felt bad that he had to live that way- and it was all for his family. So they could live better than he did when he was younger. That was more admirable than I could describe in words, and I wish that I could tell him that.

My heart nearly stopped for the umpteenth time today when my eyes caught hold of the rest of the gang, walking up the hallway. I had to admit that I was completely surprised that the secretary at the desk here let them in. My heart pounded against my ribs. I never wanted to see them again in my life. I felt trapped. I wanted to get out of here. I was ready for one of them to pull a gun off of their belt and start firing at hospital patients. "Get back." Louis mumbled, stepping in front of me like a shield. It bothered me to become aware of the fact that I still had to worry about them. It had been well over a month now and after being so close with Harry for that long, I'd thought that they would have made some sort of democratic decision that they should leave me be. I know that I am not one of them, but if I am close with their leader, why should they not treat me with respect? I wonder if they feel bad at all for what they did to me the first night that I met them.

"Hey, it's pretty girl." Numbers muttered. I felt sick to my stomach. I had never been treated like this before in my life. I've always known that I'm lucky to be able to say that. I know that many women are treated like objects, but I never had been until now. I hated the blonde boy.

"Long time no see." Pain smirked. Louis glared at the rest of them. I didn't see how he was part of them. He was human and they were practically animals.

"Relax, Tommo. She's Styles' now. We at least owe him that after everything that happened. It fucking sucks." Clifford said. I bit the inside of my cheek, not enjoying the way Clifford had said that I was Harry's, like I was his property, but I decided to ignore it. I'm sure they were used to that sort of thinking; they own girls. Though, I'm sure that Harry doesn't. I decided that it was safe to step out from behind Louis now, but still shifted uncomfortably back and forth on my feet.