22. Goodbye, love

Goodbye, love

Max let out a frustrated sigh, crinkling the paper in her hands and throwing it across the room with a force. Can't stop thinking about me? when did she ever care? She never cared, and thats why she is willing to sacrifice her daughter's happines in order to feel guilt free. she is making her leave her friends behind. again.

And then the thought hit her, she is probably not going to see Mike again. This might be their last day together, and after tonight there won't be Max and Mike. she was spending their last night alone, mad at him, and her mother. But she decided against it. she is going to spend her last moments in Hawkins with him, and nothing is going to stop that.

She knocked on his door nervously, not knowing what she is going to say or do, she just hopped that Elbitch wouldn't be there and ruin their moment. Mike opened the door minutes later, dressed in his pijamas and an annoyed expression on his face, which softened the moment his eyes landed on her. 

"Hi," he muttered, a sleepy smile hoovering above his face.

"Uh, sorry if i woke you up, i didn't realize that it was late. i can go if you want-" Max said quickly, realizing that it was past thier 'bed time'

"it's okay, i couldn't sleep anyway." he looked down to the ground when he completed his sentence, being shy for some reason.

Max was going to tease him alittle bit and ask why, but she remembred the reason she was here in the first place, and he seemed to be thinking about that too, as he asked her,

"Why are you here? Is something wrong?"

She stayed silent for awhile, thinking about how to tell him that she is leaving, but her mind came up with a sudden idea, that seemed better to her.

"Mike, what if I told you that we only have one night to spend together?" She asked him seriously.

"What?" He looked so confused in that moment.

"Make me forgive you." She tells him slyly, making him confused even more.

"What does that even mean?" He asks, clearly not following her hints.

She sighed, thinking that he was hopeless.

"It means that tonight is your only chance to make me forgive you." She explained truthfully, leaving out the reason why.

He looked mind blown for a minute before he finally said. "I'll take any chances."

She smiled at him warmly, before taking his hand in hers. "How about we stay at the basement?"

"Ok, I guess. Even though i would have preferred the roof." He simply shrugged, giving her hand a little squeeze.

"Nah we have been there alot."

Max lead the way to the basement, an excited Mike following behind her.

"It's actually cozy and warm in here." Max scanned the room with her eyes, she noticed a small tent built up in the corner.

"What was that for?" She asked curiously.

"Eleven used to stay in here when she was hiding from the bad guys." He explained, his brain going over the memory.

"Oh cool." She said, trying not to focus on Eleven now.

Max sat down on the couch, and Mike sat beside her. Both not knowing what to say, but thinking of too many things that they could possibly say to one another.