05. Masking Feelings

Masking feelings

The next morning Maxine was woken up by Mike's little sister screaming 'Breakfast' in her new and not premenat room.

She got dressed in a pair of bright pink shorts and a white T-shirt. She let her long, red hair down. And then she got downstaires to eat her breakfast.

She found Mike, his sisters and mother sitting around the table, eating. And the only empty seat was next to "Mike"

'Good morning,' Max politely greeted.
And they all noticed her then.

'Good morning, honey,' Mrs Wheeler smiled brightly at her, showing her prefect white teeth.

Max then, awkwardly sat next to Mike and began eating what was in front of her.

'I have surprising news for you all!' The mom declared and all the eyes stared up at her in interest.

'El is coming back tonight!' She announced.

G. R. E. A. T. Now Max will have to see Mike and Eleven snog the life out of each other.

Fucking great.

'Oh my God how!? I thought she won't come until next weekend!' Mike asked while smiling widely.

'Mr. Hopper allowed her to visit tonight. In fact, she'll be staying over the week.'

'OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD!! THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER!!!' Mike shouted and got on his feet, running around. they were all laughing at his silliness, except for one.

Max. The anger and hurt were clouding her thoughts and mind. She felt unwanted. Did he do this when he knew she was coming over? She bets he was angry or yelling at his mother for making such a decision. It hurt her. It cut her deeply.

Anger tears were forming in her eyes, but she held them back. Not now. She won't cry in front of him.

'Thank you for the meal, Mrs wheeler.' Max said dryly, getting up and faking a smile.

'You are very welcome, dear. And you can call me Karen,'

She smiled again before going to her room and closing her door with a loud snap. Her legs betrayed her and she fell to the ground. She then brought her knees to her and wrapped her arms around them,

Resting her head on top of her knees. A painful sob escaped her mouth and she felt as if her heart came out with it. She continued her sobbing until she couldn't find anymore tears left in her. And she quickly drifted to sleep from being tired.

□■□■□

Max woke up not knowing what the time was, she thought she heard whispers, and got up to see what was going on.

'What are we going to do? About where Jane'd be staying for the week?'

'She is going to her room, of course.'

'And Max?'

'Sleep on the couch?' Oh wow he really cares about her.

'For God's sake Mike!'

'What? I don't know, okay!?'

'I don't mind sleeping on the couch.'
Mrs. Wheeler and Mike turned their heads towards Maxine. Who decided to come out of her hiding place and respond to them.

'What!? Of course you do!' Mrs wheeler put her hands on her hips, dismissing the idea immediately. She then turned to Mike, 'you don't mind your girlfriend sleeping in your room, do you?'

Mike stared at his mother in horror and a blush creeped on his face. "I,I-"

'Is the room I'm sleeping in, is Eleven's room?' Max asked trying to mask her face.

'Mike made us have a room for her when she comes over on weekends. He decorated most of the room, ain't he a sweet little boy?' She replied cupping his cheeks in her hands.

'Mom,' Mike annoyingly said.

'So, Elven will um, sleep in W- wheeler's room, and I'll sleep in hers?' Her throat was getting tighter, and it was more harder to hold it in.

'Yes. Perfect, right?'

'Yes.' Max nodded so hard that she thought her head would come off.Then, she got in the room again.

'Why is everything against me when I decided to admit to myself that I like him!' She slammed her fist into the wall, and she kept on doing it until her hands were bleeding. It hurt,

But not as much as how her heart hurt.

□■□■□

Max woke up in the middle of the night because of hunger, and she headed down to the kitchen. Tip toeing so that no one would hear her and wake up.

The kitchen was dark. She managed to open the fridge, but then she bumped into a hard, solid body that sent the dishes she was holding, flying to the floor. Pieces of shattered glass sounding on the floor. And she wished that somehow, she won't fall and get the shattered glass into her back and body.

that somebody caught her around the waist, firmly. Preventing her from falling, And she then let out the breath she was holding, breath of relief.