Chapter 24

A surge of excitement flooded Kamya. It was today! She squealed as she jumped out of bed.

"What is it?" Ash gasped as he reached for the knife he'd stashed under his pillow.

"Put that away, silly boy." Kamya giggled. "It's today!"

Ash looked around as he gathered his bearings. "What? Why are you-"

Kamya cut him off as she pressed her lips to his. "We're getting married today. Now get up! There's lots to do and you can't see my dress before the ceremony!"

"Alright, I'm getting up."

"Go, shoo, I'm sure there are lots of things for you to do too." Kamya couldn't keep still. She fidgeted constantly as the excitement built and built for her. She had spent nearly twenty years planning this party and today was the day. She couldn't have been more pleased.

Meanwhile, as Ash was being rushed out of his room he noticed Tritos and his guard coming towards him. "Already up? That's a change."

Ash gave a sheepish smile as he scratched the back of his head. "Kamya rushed me out so she can get ready."

"Well, she's not the only one, get a move on."

Tritos led Ash to the Great Hall and one of the many advisors wasted no time in reminding him of his strict schedule and all the various pieces of both marriage ceremony and the coronation. The walls started to close in around him as sure as chains around his throat when he heard a throaty chuckle.

"Relax Grigori." Ash startled seeing the king himself standing before him.

"Your majesty!" Ash rose and rushed to bow, but Reedrick stopped him.

"Your highness." Reedrick smiled back. "Grigori, see to it the preparations are in order. I will see him there. You are dismissed." Ash watched in awe. The way Reedrick controlled a room, granted defying a king's word was treason, still... "Follow me, good sir." Reedrick started out of the Great Hall. Ash stuffed the last few bites of toast in his mouth and rushed after his king. Reedrick's face was serene, but his eyes showed the vigilance. Once out in the hall he turned to face Ash. "Are you prepared for today?"

Ash shrugged. "As ready as I can be, I suppose."

"Tell no one of your doubts. After today, you will be king."

"What will become of you?"

Reedrick shook his head. "That is not and cannot be your concern. You must know that whatever is best for my country is best for me, no matter what it may cost me." Ash hated the ominosity in that phrase.

"Dare I ask what it may cost you?"

"Follow me." Reedrick led Ash to his study. Once secure inside Reedrick lifted his long sleeve. "Do you understand the gravity of this mark?"

Ash shook his head. "Not fully."

"This is the most obvious proof of the Black Curse. It was a trademark in the great war. The Red Queen is supposed to be in exile and unable to return to the rest of the realm outside of her kingdom. What do you know of our history?"

Ash shook his head. "Just what I've learned since I've been here. I'm a simple farmer, I know how to work my land and sell my goods, but I was never traditionally educated."

"Yet you can read and write?"

"My father believe every gentleman should, I also kept the ledger and books for my farm."

Reedrick nodded. "Watch your words always when dealing with any of the fair folk, regardless of the court they belong to. To say the Red Queen was a sadist isn't an insult. This spell was supposed to have been lost a millennia ago. This is proof that either she isn't as contained as she could be, she has an apprentice, or there is some copycat. If this is the true spell, this mark will drive me mad. My lust for power and bloodshed will grow until that is all that is left. I have a contingency plan in place if that occurs, but contingency plans can fail. If my plans fail, it will fall to you and your hand."