Chapter 2

He started preparing the steak and potatoes for dinner. He took great care to ensure everything was prepared to everyone's preference. If he over or undercooked anything it would be taken out on him and Amos would be more than delighted to deliver a brutal punishment. Once the potatoes tendered up, Ash mashed them with butter and fresh garlic, and added salt and pepper to taste. Perfection. Ash couldn't help but smile, it smelled like heaven. He set the table for four places.

"It's about time." Amos sneered. "What took so long?"

"Good news, it's hot." Ash offered back as he set the potatoes directly in front of him. Hudson wasn't far behind, he was never late for a meal. He took his seat and dug in unceremoniously.

Portia was scolding Blythe as she led her in. "You must behave like a lady. Ladies do not play in the dirt, they are always presentable." Portia warned. "You will be a proper lady."

"Yes, mother." Blythe answered automatically. Her eyes lit up and she inhaled the sweet aroma of dinner. "Ash, this smells so wonderful!" she beamed as she took her seat next to her mother.

"Where's the fresh bread?" Amos demanded, his greedy eyes scanning the spread.

"There, there wasn't time to make any today." Ash replied his eyes barely meeting Amos's before he cast them back down to the floor. He knew the damning accusation was coming.

"What do you even do all day?" Disgust radiated off Amos in waves. "Other than throw tantrums, that is." Dark delight danced in Amos's eyes. "Maybe if you were more mature, we'd all be enjoying fresh bread tonight." Amos smirked as Portia's vigilant eyes narrowed on Ash.

"Tantrum?"

"Yes." Amos's smirk expanded to a wide glee filled grin. Ash clenched his jaw as his eyes tried to burn a hole in Amos's boots. Ash's hands balled into fists as his shoulders crept closer and closer to his ears as Amos carried on. "He destroyed at least three dozen apples today, all because I asked him to be more considerate about breakfast time. Can you imagine? I don't think it's too much to ask that my meal be ready and hot when I come down to eat. What do you think, Mother?" The sickly sweet tone didn't suit Amos. Ash nearly gagged as he braced for what was to come.

Portia's eyes turned colder than ice. "You think you can do whatever you please?" Portia started, her voice that calm, quiet that came before serious punishment. "You think you can steal money from our pockets? Food from our very mouths?" Portia's tempered flared, but unlike her son, she burned cold. When Amos's temper flared there would be a swift retribution and he would be sated, but not Portia. No, Portia would stew. She would simmer and let the offense fester and never forget. Her wrath was caustic at best and volcanic at worst. "Very well, since you do not value this family's well being or food, I think you should go the next three days without food." Portia bit out, as a sinister smile crossed her lips.

"Mother!" Blythe gasped. "No food? How can you say such a thing?"

"It's fine." Ash rushed out. His eyes a careful mask for Blythe. He smiled at her and offered reassurance. "Don't question your mother, it's rude."

Portia eyed Ash suspiciously, but nodded. "He's right."

"Well then, if you'll excuse me. I should get on with my chores." Ash bit out as he left for the stable. His stomach protested with a loud growl. He shook his head at his own stupidity. He knew how petty Amos was, how blatantly and convincingly he could lie. Ash remembered the one time he'd swung back at Amos. Ash had only given Amos a black eye. Amos took the liberty of punching his other eye and giving himself a bloody nose before he ran screaming up to the house crying about how savagely Ash had beaten him. He'd even walked with a limp over the next week just to settle the score as much to his favor and Ash's detriment as he could. It was during this time Ash had been bestowed the few chores Amos was responsible, and those duties never left Ash.