Chapter 5

Kamya gave her diplomatic smile as Dorian lectured her on the benefits of merging her kingdom with Geitanos. There may be thousands of benefits, but there was one major drawback that Kamya could not overlook. If the kingdoms merged her people's lives would be in danger and many would be forfeited to the wars of the continent. Kamya couldn't allow that, she couldn't willingly sign her people up for death. Her father and advisor were also present and King Reedrick watched his daughter.

It didn't take much for him to come to her conclusion. He knew she wasn't going to accept this proposal and he also knew there would be consequences for the refusal. Reedrick asked Dorian to continue the conversation later while he and his daughter excused themselves. He led her to his study, sat her down and gave her the look.

"So you know then?" Kamya sighed as she sank into the chair opposite her father's desk in his study. Her hands covered her face as she hung her head and let out a frustrated groan.

"I do." Reedrick agreed as he kissed the top of her head before he took his own chair behind his illustrious desk.

"Am I that obvious?"

Reedrick shook his head. "Just to me, probably your mother too. You're being very diplomatic. But I know my daughter. Your smile isn't your smile and I know the difference in your eyes. Have you given any thought to the refusal?"

"Loads." Kamya nodded. "But how am I supposed to tell him no without offending him. Have you met the man? He's so full of himself."

Reedrick grinned and nodded. "He is young, handsome, and powerful. He's also a prince so he's used to being preened over. It's hard not to get an ego when that happens."

Kamya let out another groan. "Oh Father, how do I do this?"

"Gently. Don't hurt his ego. Be diplomatic. I'm guessing the wars are you reasoning?"

"Yes. I don't want to change our alliance and drag everyone into war. We've kept the peace for the past two hundred and fifty years. I don't want my first act of power to be starting a war. How do you tell a being like Tritos thanks but no thanks?"

Reedrick chuckled at his daughter's frustration He remembered a similar frustration when he was searching for his own bride, Kayma's mother, Sabhira. She'd been a princess from the continent and half a world away. It was a positive merger for both countries and had ensured trade agreements. Sabhira's kingdom was of the Fall Court, so trades had consisted of both the Seelie and Unseelie countries, provided neither did trade with a country directly attacking her kingdom or his.

"Father..." Kamya started cautious. "I have an idea, a way around our country's laws."

Reedrick's eyes met his daughters as he halted his reminiscing. "What is it?"

"The law states that I must marry a man of legal age before my twentieth birthday."

"Right."

"However, it never states that my husband has to come from royalty, or even nobility for that matter. It just says we have to be of legal age and trying to produce an heir."

"Go on."

"What if I just marry a commoner? A man from our own kingdom? We don't have to worry about breaching any trade agreements or treaties. Surely that can't be a reason to draw us into the wars."

Reedrick sat back and pondered the thought. She had a point. "Do you have someone in mind?"

"No." Kamya shook her head. "Not someone specific, but I was thinking what if we invite the kingdom? After Prince Tritos and his entourage leave, we can announce it. All the eligible men in the country should be invited. We can even open it up to neighboring countries so that it looks like I haven't already decided."