Chapter 15

Sabhira was lost in her thoughts when her daughter knocked and was ushered into Reedrick's study. "What is it child?" Sabhira drawled. She'd spent the better part of the past day reading healing scroll after healing scroll, spell and curse after spell and curse. Anything that could potentially save her husband.

"My husband came to speak to you."

"He did."

"What did you talk about?"

"I asked him questions."

"What did he ask you?"

"I didn't give him the chance."

"What do you mean?"

"I asked my own questions until he was distracted then I ordered him to dinner. What can I do for you? I'm busy."

Kamya thought for a long moment. Her own emotions were in a spin. "Was it easy for you when you first married Father?"

"You've been married less than a day and already having doubts?" Sabhira disparaged. She knew her daughter well enough to know when she wasn't getting her way.

"It's not that...not exactly."

"I know that boy didn't want this which means you put that idea in his head." Sabhira set the scroll down and her eyes met Kamya's.

Kamya glanced over her shoulder at the healers chanting over her father with their hands outstretched, palms directed at him. "He will be okay, won't he?"

"I don't know."

Kamya sucked in a sharp breath. "You mean he actually might not be?"

"Kamya, what do you want? I have reading to do. Many of these scrolls are in old tongues that most cannot read. I am doing everything in my power to save your father and protect this kingdom. Can you say the same?"

Kamya felt like she'd been slapped. "No."

"I didn't think so. Now help or get out. I have no time for games today."

Kamya wasn't used to being spoken to so abruptly. "As you wish, Mother." Kamya turned as tears pricked her eyes. She knelt by her father's side and took his hand. "You will be okay. You have to be." She promised before she kissed the back of his hand and replaced it on his chest.

Sabhira watched her daughter go. She knew she would be more upset than when she came, but Sabhira had actual problems to solve. This ancient, dark magic could drag her country into war. There were many forces at work trying to cause panic and strife. She had to keep her country together. It had been years since Sabhira had learned these ancient tongues and she was rusty, but she was one of maybe five people in this kingdom who could read these scrolls. She'd sent for them from her own home country, they were sealed in vaults from the Great War. When she'd requested them from home questions had been asked. Questions she didn't want to answer and had required a spell of silence before she explained parts of the situation.

Her father had agreed with great hesitation. The vaults were not opened unless dire situations arose. Once the situation was explained, her father had ordered the vaults opened at once and he himself had retrieved the scrolls Sabhira requested. He'd cautioned her to let no one else read them or know what they were. These were the sort of scrolls wars started over. The fact that she had them in her possession could mean war if the wrong people found out.

Sabhira had barely slept since the night of the ball, not that she'd had much sleep leading up to the ball. She'd been so worried about the ball and her daughter and finding a good suitor without offending any of the nobility. Now her daughter had gone off half-cocked and married a man from her own kingdom who turned out to be not only Seelie, but the illegitimate grandson of the Seelie queen. Their lives were going to be infinitely more complicated now, especially because fealty would have to be sworn and treaties would have to end. Albion was powerful as a neutral country. Aligned it would mean war. Too many lines of power converged in their capital city for them to remain neutral forever, that was a fool's dream. Even still, Sabhira had hoped it would remain so throughout her lifetime.