Chapter 9

Halvar was quicker than Ash had anticipated. He was nearly as fast as Ash. He led the group through a winding maze of corridors and dark passageways, surefooted every step of the way. He warned the princess where she may stumble or where to watch her head. The man knew every nook and cranny of this path until they hit a solid wall. Ash was confused. For as confident as Halvar had been, the last thing he expected was for him to get lost to a dead end.

"We know not what's on the other side of this door. There may be fighting. There may be an ambush. We don't know how much the enemy knows. We don't know if there is a traitor among us. If there is, chances are they do not know the tunnels, but I won't take that chance." Halvar explained.

The guards got into agreement and took a defensive battle stance with the princess behind all but one of them who guarded the rear. As the entrance opened Ash immediately recognized the wooded area at once. It was a few miles from the main path he took coming in and out of the city. He was always most at home in the woods, and if Aisling's words were truth, now he understood why. If she was right, that made him one of the fae, and he had no doubt she was one of them. That meant that she could not outright lie, and it explained his inability to lie to save his own life. The hair on the back of Ash's neck stood on end. He sensed the movement more than anything else.

"We aren't alone out here." Ash whispered to Halvar.

Halvar sensed it too, but couldn't make anything out in the darkness. "If we are ambushed the princess's safety is top priority, above everyone else's life." Halvar ordered before he stared down Ash. It was as much a threat as an order to his own men, but it wasn't a threat Ash needed. He would gladly do anything and everything within his power to keep his princess alive and whole. Halvar led the silent procession through the forest. He and his guard were able to move almost as stealthily as Ash. The only one who made a sound was the princess. As they neared the main road they noticed the distant flickering campfire. Halvar sent the two swiftest guards ahead to scout. When they didn't come back Halvar drew his sword. Halvar's eyes met Ash. "How are you with a sword?"

Ash shook his head. "I've never used one." He admitted past a lump in his throat.

Halvar resisted the urge to groan or curse and handed Ash a dagger from his boot. "Just stab anything that comes at you." Ash nodded. "I want you to take the princess."

Kamya's eyes showed her surprise. "Halvar -"

"Princess, do not argue. It's the least expected thing. I'm always by your side. Anyone with information will know this. Wait." Halvar removed his breastplate and tunic. Kamya blushed as her guard was revealed to her for the first time. She'd never seen him in anything but full uniform. "Princess, you should change into this. Forgive the smell." Halvar looked embarrassed with his full chest on display.

"Pardon?"

"Princess," Halvar explained, his tone gentle but commanding. " it's pretty obvious you're the princess. In this disguise you'll have a better chance. Men form a circle, backs to her." Halvar ordered and the guards and Ash formed a circle weapons drawn to allow the princess to change.

Kamya managed to pull her top over her head with some effort. It had taken four people to dress her tonight, removing everything herself was a feat unto itself. With a deep breath she regretted, she pulled the tunic over her head. She nearly gagged on the smell of body odor and that scent that was purely male. It was far more sour than anything was accustomed to. The tunic fell nearly to her knees and she smoothed it out before she pulled the armor on and it nearly buckled her knees. "How ever do you move in this?" Kamya murmured.

Halvar glanced over his shoulder. "Practice. Princess, you should remove your skirts too. It's still rather obvious."

Kamya pursed her lips and hated to admit that he was right, but he was. "But, how indecent!" She protested.