Chapter 17

It wasn't long before Ash was atop an unfamiliar horse with Prince Tritos and five guards behind them. "You are the most tiresome nuisance." Tritos growled as they headed down the trail as night enveloped the world around him. "Honestly, traveling the woods at night? You're the kind of foolish that ends up dead."

"I didn't ask for this." Ash reminded Tritos. "If I had my way, this is where I would have returned the night of the ball."

"Pity." Tritos spat. "Maybe then I'd be free to do as I please."

The ride to the farm was tense but without a cart to drag, shorter than usual. As Tritos's patience drew short the group had gone from a walk to a slow gallop through the forest. Ash noticed the lights up at the house and smoke billowing from the chimney. At least his family hadn't burned down the house. Ash dismounted and led the horse by the reins up towards the house. After he'd secured his steed he crept to the backdoor. He heard shouting and froze.

"It can't be that hard! That useless wretch can do it!" Portia screamed.

"It's not my place to be in the kitchen! If it's so easy, why didn't you do it?" Amos shouted back.

"That worthless wretch better stay gone. If I see that boy again I will wring his neck."

Ash tensed. He realized Tritos was next to him. Ash shook his head and started down to the stables. Tritos followed him. Tritos felt sorry for the boy, he understood being a spare. He was a third son, the spare to the spare. His only place of belonging had ever been on the battlefield. He let Ash lead him to the barn. The horses started nickering as soon as they smelled Ash.

"Hello! Hello!" Ash chortled as his entire face lit up. Tritos watched as the boy greeted each horse by name and soothed each in turn. "I know, I know. I've been gone for a whole day. How have you all managed? No one looks hurt." Ash replenished their grain and water. The stalls needed to be mucked out, but no one worse for wear. Ash made his way to the cows and chickens and breathed a sigh of relief that all were well. "Thank you." Ash breathed. "You don't know what that meant to me." Ash returned to the stable and climbed a ladder. He rummaged through the hay until he found it. The only portrait he had of his parents. He tucked it inside his tunic and made his way back down.

"This is where they kept you." Tritos observed. He didn't ask, he stated it for the fact that it was. Tritos looked Ash in the eye. "You have to go back to that house. You have to tell them what's going to happen."

"Not all of it."

"No, let them find out the hard way." Ash jumped and Tritos turned. Aisling leaned against the barn doors. "They're dim but not that dim."

"Aisling." Tritos drawled. "If that's what you're going by today."

"Awww, if it isn't little baby Tritos. You grew up handsome. Hopefully you whine less now." Aisling glided towards them and grinned down at Ash. "My little nephew did so good, didn't you?" Aisling pinched his cheek and Ash drew back. "He doesn't even know how much of a puppet he is."

"Not for long." Tritos warned. His hand instinctively went to the knife belted to his waist. He knew her too well to trust her, even in such an innocuous situation.

Ash hated every moment of this.

"You will be called upon soon." Aisling promised. "Since you've been a good little lap dog thus far, mommy dearest may even let you swear fealty and earn protection for this pathetic, little country. Do not tell the mortals that you will be the crowned prince in a few days time. Do not tell them that you are one of us. Tell them that you are being rewarded for your service to the crown with those servants. And warn them that everything they do is being reported back to the crown."