Chapter 18

Kamya had never been taught these ancient tongues her mother knew. Sabhira considered teaching her once this whole ordeal was sorted out. Provided of course, that she proved worthy of such dangerous knowledge.

Sabhira's own mother was one of the most accomplished potion masters in their entire kingdom and she'd taught Sabhira everything she knew. Today Sabhira knew more about poisons and potions than all of Albion. Sabhira hadn't taught her hot tempered daughter what she knew and wondered if she'd ever have the chance. At the moment, she was just grateful her daughter had been wise enough to return her head to its proper place atop her shoulders rather than lodged in her derriere.

"Mother?" Kamya asked as she set aside the book she was trying to make sense of.

"Yes, child?"

"Was it really as bad as the stories say?"

"Worse probably. We've had a thousand years to water down the facts and soften the atrocities. Monsters are usually lessened with time, not magnified. No one wants to remember the monsters they let come to power. It's easier to believe things aren't as bad as they really are."

Kamya's stomach dropped. "I see." Kamya paused and swallowed. "Mother, I've given it some thought. With the nobles and breaking the news to them that I've chosen another, perhaps if we explained Ash's lineage? Would that make it more acceptable to them?"

Sabhira was impressed her daughter was thinking properly again. "That's risky."

"But wouldn't it make sense?"

"Tread carefully, daughter mine. If you offend those of other courts you can lose alliances and cause war. Thankfully your husband does have a good bloodline. If you swear fealty and a proper alliance is forged that is." Sabhira added.

"Mother, what if he doesn't agree?"

"He must."

"He wants no part of the throne."

"Obviously."

"Is this going to make him miserable?"

"Misery is a choice."

"I rushed into this."

"As you do all things." Sabhira set her scroll down. "You have made your choices. Now you must abide by your actions. One day very soon you will be the one who makes choices for thousands and they will live and die by your hand and voice. Fortune seems to favor you for reasons I do not understand. I hope you appreciate it."

"How can I be who they need me to be?"

"Let's start by helping your father." Sabhira advised.

Kamya nodded and returned her eyes to her book. If she could help her father in anyway, she had to. If her mother could stay up to all hours of the night reading and translating ancient scrolls, the least she could do was keep the same vigil.

In between reading Kamya was writing letters and planning the details for her wedding, now eight days away. Her seamstress worked to put the final touches on the dress she'd long ago chosen. Kamya created the lists for the feasts. Her capital city would be invited for the feast. Only nobles and royalty would be invited for the wedding ceremony, but it was a celebration for all the country.

"Go to sleep, my child. You can barely keep your eyes open." Sabhira pressed. "You've done well this evening."

"Are you sleeping in here?"

"Yes. I do not trust anyone here more than I trust myself." Sabhira offered with a tired smile. "Go now."

"Mother, if you like, I can uphold court for you. One less thing to worry about. I can handle the petty squabbles."