Chapter 19

While Kamya dealt with inane issues, Tritos was putting Ash through the ringer. Tritos was impressed at the general form and power. It was the technique he was lacking in. As much as he hated to admit it, the boy had potential. If what was coming was something as dangerous as he feared, the boy just might survive it if he did as Tritos instructed. And Tritos was pleased to find that Ash did, in fact, take instruction well. If Tritos corrected a stance or position then Ash obliged without argument.

Tritos expected some push back and some measure of complaint, but that wasn't Ash. Ash was compliant and did his best. He gave his all with every swing and parry. He fought through the body aches, he was determined not to disappoint. He knew very soon his very life may depend upon this. He let Tritos direct him and teach him and was surprised how good it felt to be praised for a change. After years of disparaging comments and rebuffs it was unbelievably pleasant to hear he was doing a good job.

Tritos trained him for the next several hours until Ash was dripping sweat and Tritos was ready for his midday meal. He led Ash to the table where his entourage quickly found them and surrounded them. Tritos listened to matters of his state while he ate and gave opinions and permissions where they were needed. On private matters he spoke in his native tongue, when the subjects were mundane he spoke so Ash may understand.

Once they were finished Tritos led Ash quietly to the library. "You need to understand your heritage and what to do. You will have to swear fealty once everything is announced. You will have to know how to do so and the implications of such actions. You were fortunate until now. As one of us, you have some level of magic inside of you, but it's like a muscle you've never used before and it's weak. Because your bloodline is diluted that also weakens it as well. I am not going to teach you about that. I've informed the queen and she has called in a favor. There is someone very powerful coming. You will want to learn all you can from him. Be careful not to insult him because he is one of the most powerful beings I've ever heard of."

"Have you met him?"

"No."

"Should I be worried?"

Tritos shrugged. "I don't know that answer. Depends on his mood when he arrives. Now, let's get started." Tritos began with explaining how the kingdoms had divided into what was now the Seelie and Unseelie courts. The differing opinions on how things should be run, what was and was not permissible. Today the Seelie court was known for its pristine perfection and shining beauty while the Unseelie was known for its acceptance of the macabre, the wretched and disfigured. Tritos went on to explain the priorities and virtues the two courts shared and differed on. Above all, what Ash heard was power, in its many forms was respected.

After Tritos was finished it was Ash with Kamya's tutors begin learning about the history of Albion and how to be a part of the political system. Ash found it all exhausting and constraining. He was understanding more and more what Kamya meant about the gilded cage. His old life may have been rigorous and backbreaking, but at least he was allowed outside, at least he was allowed some alone time, at least he had some measure of himself. Here is was given a mold and he had a feeling he would be forced to fit, no matter the cost to himself.

When he was released for supper instead of heading to the Great Hall he headed for the gardens. It was the closest way to get out of the palace and be outside. He missed his farm desperately. He missed the animals. He missed the smell of the grounds, the fragrant scent of the apple blossoms, the sharp clean scent from the evergreens. He missed the sense of satisfaction after a hard day's work, the sense of knowing everything only worked because of him. Here he was just a cog in the wheel.

"You like to stare up at the sky an awful lot, don't you?" Ash jumped when he heard Aisling's voice as she took a seat beside him.

"How did you get into the palace?"