Chapter 20

Sabhira sat in the study as the healers' chanting changed. For tonight Reedrick would be awake. He wouldn't be awake for long, a few hours maybe. Sabhira had found a few potions and elixirs that she'd learned of and was quite hopeful about. But the only way to know for sure was to try. If they could even slow the curse, that time could be the key to saving him.

Sabhira had readied herself for this evening. Her fool of a daughter had a surprisingly good idea. If Ash was presented as the savior of the kingdom, the nobles would concede, albeit begrudgingly, to let him marry the princess without outright rebellion. None of their sons had done so much as lift a finger to save the princess. They'd all run for their own lives. A harsh truth should be the slap in the face that would lead to recalcitrant submission.

Sabhira had her husbands attire readied for him and had him readied in his sleep. The less time he was awake, the less time the curse could continue. But now it was time. Sabhira gave the final nod and the healers finished their chant and lower their hands. The time ticked by and seconds stretched like minutes and minutes like hours to Sabhira. It was nearly ten minutes before Reedrick started to stir.

"My love," Sabhira whispered, her hand in his. "Come back to us. Follow my voice. There is much to discuss. Wake, my dear. Your kingdom needs you. Your daughter needs you. I need you."

Reedrick heard his wife's voice echoing in his ears. It seemed so far away, like he was underwater. His body ached and it felt like he was deep underwater. It took him a long moment before he could even remember how to use his body. He felt something in his hand and gave it a squeeze. It squeezed back and Reedrick steadied himself. It took his body a long time to remember how to open his eyes next, but eventually they yielded to his will.

There she was, as beautiful and radiant as the day he married her. "My wife." Reedrick breathed and did his best to smile. "What is it? Why is there fear in your eyes?"

Sabhira helped Reedrick to a sitting position before she wrapped her arms around his shoulders and hugged him tightly to her. "There is much to discuss." Sabhira forced out. Her emotions fought to overtake her but she fought them back. If she had to she could break down afterwards, on her own, but not now. "You have been cursed, my love. It looks like the Black Curse."

Reedrick looked up confused. "The one from the Great War?"

Sabhira nodded.

"Impossible. That magic was outlawed nearly a thousand years ago. The only ones who know it are locked away."

"I've asked, my love. It's the same. We have had you sleeping since the ball. It's been a few days, dearest. Tonight, your daughter will announce the suitor for her hand."

"Without my permission? Who is it?"

Sabhira looked around at the ears in the room. "Leave us." She hissed and the room emptied immediately. "There are complications, when the attempt on her life happened, your reckless daughter married the man out of desperation."

"She's married?" Reedrick asked alarmed. "What kind of man is he?"

"I believe she's very lucky. He doesn't want power or the throne at the moment, but he is of the Sidhe."

"Seelie or Unseelie?"

"Seelie, his grandmother is Queen Titania."

Reedrick's eyes bulged. "Which child?"

"Ash Cinder, of our country's very own Cinder Farms. Apparently, he's just learning what he is and he's been in the dark. The boy is resilient and knows how to tell our daughter no."

"No to what?"

"They haven't consummated the marriage. That was because Ash cared too much for your thoughts on the matter."