season 1 | chapter 11

TRAINING WAS HELL

TRAINING WAS HELL.

Lyla had executed a series of perfect front handsprings to get past the laser rays placed on random directions between the black plaques. It was disheartening she couldn't form a pattern to move forward, but change her steps every single time and using rounds offs was out of the question. Her back would break.

She had run to the balance beam and jumped, maneuvering between the gigantic balls swinging right and left above her in the limited space of the balance beam. She traversed the same path to the beginning and repeated the exercise five times.

She ran back for the last time with front handsprings to the spot she had started from. Her legs were shaking and she allowed her body to collapse on the floor. Lyla's muscles were sore and her head was spinning.

She was in a state of daze, her eyes wandering aimlessly around the room. Her T-Shirt clung to her skin, some of her hair she had tied to a ponytail sticking to her neck, damp.

She shut her eyes, the erratic beat of her heart pounding in her ears. Lyla breathed heavily, a drop of sweat sliding from her forehead to her temple. The air was abandoning her lungs and no matter how much of it she tried to suck from the atmosphere with her lips, it wasn't enough.

Her lungs were greedy, demanding more quantity. She couldn't satiate the urge for endless air and in that fleeting moment, she felt helpless.

Kai's words echoed in her head. "I've planned some simple exercises for today, exercises that'll tense you enough without making you reach the brim of exhaustion."

And what kind of exercises would drain every fiber of their being if this was a starter?

Kai glanced at her from his peripheral vision, before his attention darted back to Tyson.

Tyson's punches had improved. The punching bag swayed back from his force, returning to attack him and Tyson kicked it with a swift motion. His attacks were precise and efficient, his gloved knuckles hitting the target brutally, but Kai couldn't neglect his quick loss of stamina.

Inexperienced people on the field would deem he was overreacting, that he was strict more than necessary. They believed boxing was a sport where the fast loss of stamina could be justified due to the recurrent punches, but Kai's opinion differed. Stamina was a vital precondition applied to all kinds of sports and exercises. Power and strength alone were inadequate.

It was worse in the magic field. The more powerful were the magic spells a wizard cast, the more the stamina would drop within seconds. One moment they could be standing on the top of the mountain, the other rolling down the hill. It was proof that everything came to a price.

However, it wasn't an excuse to make Kai back down. It didn't in his early teenage years and it wouldn't now that he'd reached far. He would go farther than he imagined.