Rules

Thomas

"I won't tolerate you speaking like that." I said it as calmly as I could. I didn't want to already be as this level, guns drawn. But his words were sharp and calculated to disrespect everything I cared about and me along with it.

"Whatever, just back off." But instead of backing off himself, he took a step closer. He stood at the same height as me, almost exactly. Both of us taller than others our age. I glared into his eyes with the same dislike that he had for me. He leaned torwards me, attempting to assert some sort of petty dominance.

If there was anything I knew about keeping boys in line, it was that it was easier to cut down an ego than to win a fight.

I took a deep breath, feeling the anger dissolve in me. I softened my scowl into a small frown. "Leave, then, I'm sure you have better options, right?"

I shoved down the urge to smile at his sneer, his fists clenching. He sat down the cross and turned to lean against the dresser, an eyebrow raised incredulously at me.

"No?" I continued, a polite smile on my features, "Then follow the rules here and behave. Otherwise you will be punished and the others will think you're a nuisance, understood?"

For a moment he stayed angry, but then he smirked, "Oh you'll punish me, huh?"

"Yes. We will." I answered seriously. There were several punishments for not following the rules and the nuns were as creative as they were faithful.

His eyes fell and looked me up and down. Another posturing attempt that I wasn't fazed by. He bit his lip where the peircing once was, like he had forgotten it wasn't there.

"Sounds good to me," He finally said after his stare down.

"Does that hair-dye wash out?" I asked him.

He ran a hand through the unnaturally black locks. "Nah, if they let me get some dye at the store I can make it look less... murky,"

"We will have to cut the dyed sections of it off." I said flatly, walking to the bathroom to grab scissors.

"No way," he said quickly, backing up, "They can't make me cut my hair,"

I opened and closed the scissors, testing their sharpness, and stared at him with a bored look. He shook his head, and I nodded, and he shook his head again, and I nodded harder.

"You have to, it's part of the requirements, no dyed hair," I don't say anything more as I grab a towel and pat the side table for him to use as a seat.

He takes a while, but eventually he stalked in defeat over to the table and sat down.

I wrapped a towel around his shoulders as he touched the sort-of-black tendrils of hair for the last time.  "How come you dyed it? Your natural color is beautiful." I told him, touching the bright blonde roots, almost white.

"Just cut it, don't drag this shit out,"

I sighed and he rolled his eyes. I started to snip off the black ends, making sure not to cut off the blonde. The hair gathered around my feet as I aligned the edges, doing my best to make it neat.

"Whatever, but I just liked it bet

It was much shorter now, but it looked nice. The black had made his skin sallow, but the blonde brought light back into his features. Ice blonde, almost unnatural looking itself with how colorless and shiny it appeared to be. No variance in color, just bright almost white.

"Say, who the hell are you anyway? Not a priest... and obviously not a nun, do you even have authority to do this?"

"I'm head choir boy for the church and head boy for the orphanage, I told you that already. I sing at the sermons and lead the boys when the adults are busy," I told him.