Grief

When they were left alone, Ronan made Ilyana turn to face him as he embraced her tightly. He laughed hysterically, "I can't believe I can hold you now!"

Ilyana giggled uncontrollably as she embraced him just as tightly. Ilyana first realized the incredible warmth of his body that defied winter's cold, but she got distracted with his affection. Ronan kissed her cheeks several times before he stumbled in his step, causing him to collapse on top of her. Ilyana released a grunt at the sudden weight crushing against her but it didn't stop her from releasing laughs in hysterics. Ronan pulled himself up to face her. She leaned up to plant a quick kiss on his lips before resting back against the snow.

"Sorry... It's still awkward to be on two legs. Help me up?" He asked as Ilyana nodded in immediate response. She got up before he did, turning to reach for his crutch before she assisted him. Ilyana grasped Ronan's hand and pulled him up steadily.

Ronan gave a singular nod in thanks as he took the crutch and leaned against it whilst wrapping an arm around Ilyana.

Her teeth chattered despite his comforting yet unnatural warmth radiating from his body.

Ronan sucked his teeth in response to that, then mumbled, "I told you. You should've kept your cape."

"I'm fine," Ilyana retorted as the teeth chatter went away as quickly as it came due to her mental cue in for it to stop and Ronan's balmy and soothing hug.

"Let's go before you catch a cold," Ronan ushered her and Ilyana stubbornly complied because she didn't want to move – which Ronan chuckled towards.

Then came the dreaded question, "Where is Jean? Did he leave to accompany Elmora? We have to show them that the curse is broken!"

Ilyana felt the color drain from her cheeks as she felt queasy.

"Hey, are you all right?" Ronan cupped her cheek. "You're getting pale, 'Yana, that's not a good sign."

"...He's dead..." Ilyana forced herself to speak in the lowest of whispers.

Ronan gave a small gasp as silence ensued. He stared wide-eyed as he shook his head to the side and bit his lip. He looked down before asking barely above a whisper, "What?"

Tears instantly flooded her eyes as she clenched onto Ronan giving him the look that defines exactly what she meant to say and Ronan instantly caught on.

"... No, that isn't possible, he can't be," Ronan denied it. He gripped Ilyana's shoulders, a thud of his crutch falling to the snow "You're lying!"

"I'm not!" Ilyana shouted back, crying.

"Don't do this to me Ilyana! Where is he?!"

Ilyana tore away from his grip, making him almost fall forward but she retrieved the crutch in time before taking hold of his wrist, guiding Ronan to Jean's temporary resting place with the help of the path of destruction his crash inflicted upon the terrain. After they passed a few broken trees, Ilyana caught sight of Jean's body. She pulled Ronan forward while she stayed behind, breaking away from the grip she inflicted upon his wrist. Her breathing became irregular as she tried to maintain her composure when she saw Ronan freeze in place once he caught sight of Jean.

Ronan seemed to force himself to move forward to approach his once-beloved friend. Once he got close enough to see the damage in its entirety, he fell to his knees, placing his crutch down. Ilyana couldn't stop the tears of guilt and the regret seemed to be tearing away at her soul. She watched as Ronan just looked at the corpse. His arms began to twitch then shake most violently.

He released a sob but what came after wasn't something that Ilyana didn't expect. A chuckle. Several chuckles. Until breaking into almost maniacal laughter.