twenty two - wonderland

wonderland:(verb) a land or place full of wonderful things.

─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─

india

"so, before you worked for me, what did you do?" harry asks, emphasising the me. my heart jolts at his question. my previous profession was not something i wanted to talk about.

"i was just in and out of jobs you know." i hum, looking down at our connected hands. much to my relief, harry didn't inquire again over what jobs i'd had - instead he just nods and smiles. not that he would understand going in between jobs, he's his own boss for christ's sake. "what are your parents like?" i ask, changing the subject.

his face stiffens and his eyes close momentarily. it was only then that i realised family probably wasn't the best choice of topic for a date conversation - not now especially.

"well, my mum. she's great. she's the most beautiful woman i've ever met. she's so selfless and giving. always always giving. gives too much for her own good that woman." he chuckles lightly. i watch him as he talks about her, a crooked smile on his face. he was obviously very fond of her. "and my dad..." he sighs. "well he's just dad. you know, the typical. he works a lot.. hard to impress.. he runs his own company though, so we've never gone without. it's his fault i have the coffee shop, i'd of never done it alone. so for that, i'm thankful to him."

i decide not to respond to anything he had said, i didn't want to spur a conversation that led to gemma. i knew that would upset him.

"where are we going?" i say instead as i look around us at the busy town centre - all the christmas lights stood out against the dark sky. it was beautiful, almost magic really. it looked like something out of a movie as everyone scattered around us - hurling many shopping bags full of presents. you need to do your christmas shopping i tell myself. you mustn't forget anyone.

"well" i can see him smiling in my peripheral vision. "i thought we could go to the ice rink they've put in the middle of town, and then go get some snacks and coffee afterwards?" he sniffs several times as he speaks, obviously catching the flu. i know i can't help the fact it's now winter and his body just can't fight the elements, but i can't help but feel sympathetic, so i just give his hand i was already holding a little squeeze.

"sounds perfect." i grin, my cheeks stiff from the cold.

-

"harry!" i shriek, gripping the sides of the rink like its a matter of life and death, just like i had been doing for the last thirty minutes. "it's not funny!" i do my best to lower my voice - to at least sound slightly threatening, but i'm pretty sure it's just making me look more of a fool.

he whizzes by again, a hand reaching out to tickle me as he passes - but luckily i push myself away from the wall before he has the chance. "then why are you laughing?" he sings.

"because you're tickling me!" i hiss, narrowing my eyes on the curly headed boy that was now skating in circles around me. "it's almost impossible not to laugh."

he suddenly stops skating directly infront of me, a little closer than expected. so close that his icy breath is fanning against my face as he breathes. a mischievous look washes over his features. "almost?"

before i can escape his hands are darting towards my hips to tickle them. "harry!" i squeal in between giggles as i desperately try and wriggle away from his fingers. if it wasn't for the fact i was clinging onto his coat i would have probably fallen... again. "okay! okay!" i admit defeat, lifting my hands above my head once I've managed to steady myself. "it is impossible not too."