Chapter XL | Maybe another one won't be so bad |

Grabbing Mae by the arm, Rue pulled her into his chest. "I knew it... I knew it!"

Mae let out a grunt when she hit his sturdy chest, her arms stiff at her sides. She wasn't used to someone other than Viske or Bitsy hugging her. It felt different. It felt off. Yet at the same time it made her feel safe. After three hard blinks, she dissolved into his arms.

"Do you think they missed each other?" Frenchie asked Aubrey before walking away to serve a customer.

Aubrey rested her temple against the palm of her hand and watched Rue and Mae. For years, Rue dwelled on what happened to Mae and he blamed himself. And even though she knew that he'd still continue to blame himself, she could see that a weight was lifted from his shoulders now that he knew she was okay.

"How about we take this reunion to your office?" Aubrey suggested. Customers were starting to stare. Some were curious about the commotion, while most of them were annoyed.

Rue let Mae go and offered his customers an apologetic smile.

Frenchie smacked the counter, making the three of them jump. "How about I bring you guys the good bottle! I think tonight's a night to celebrate!"

"And how about I find something clean for you to wear?" Aubrey proposed, resting a hand on the curve of Mae's back and leading her away from the bar.

"You don't have to. The dress isn't that bad," Mae said, running her hands over the soft fabric.

"Nonsense! We're about the same size. I'm sure I have something around here that you can wear. Would you rather another dress or something more casual?"

Mae gnawed on her lower lip in contemplation. "Casual." She didn't mind wearing a dress, but she was more comfortable wearing a pair of shorts and a shirt.

Aubrey nodded, escorting her into Rue's office. "Casual it is. I'll be right back."

Rue tenderly touched Aubrey's shoulder as she passed him. Walking into the office, he closed the door behind, strolled to his desk and slumped down into his chair. He couldn't stop smiling. "Take a seat," he said, motioning to the chair across from him.

With her arms at her sides, Mae restlessly rubbed her fingers together while looking around. "I remember this room being bigger."

"Maybe that's because the last time you were in this office, you were eight years old and short."

"And now I'm twenty-five and taller than you," she grinned.

"It's been years since we've seen each other and you decide to make a jab at my height?" Rue simpered, falling back in his chair with his arms at his sides.

Mae flopped down on the spare chair. She couldn't keep her eyes off her surroundings. Aside from a few things, everything was practically the same. When she fixed her gaze on his desk, her brows curled. "Is that..."

Rue sat up and followed her eyes. He grinned when he saw the picture frame on his desk. "Ah, do you remember that?"

Chewing on her lip, she reached for the frame, her fingertips hesitantly brushing over it.

Rue grunted, leaned forward and pushed the frame into her hand. "You can touch it."

Mae grabbed the frame and held it in her lap, rubbing her thumb over the glass. It was a faded painting that she painted of her and Rue. "You kept this?"

"You painted it for me, didn't you'?"

Mae choked back a mute laugh, forcing herself to hold back tears.