Chapter XIX | How about a tour? |

"This shouldn't be taking so long," Mae murmured, anxiously pacing back and forth in front of the infirmary.

With his nose squished against the sickbay's window, Luffy impatiently looked around the room. "What's taking so long?!" He complained, his breath fogging up the window. "Chopper's been in there for hours!"

He was hoping to catch a glimpse of what was going on inside, but because Chopper had a curtain pulled around the bed, he couldn't see what was happening.

Taking a tight hold of his shirt, Nami yanked him back. "Chopper has it under control," she assured him. "The operation won't go by any quicker if you stand next to the door the entire time."

"But what could be taking him so long?!"

Nami slammed her fist against the back of his head. "What do you mean what could be taking him so long?! Chopper's operating on him!"

Mae flinched when Nami used the word 'operating'. She was still processing the fact that Chopper was removing a piece of Viske.

"Now," straightening up, Nami fixed her attention on Mae, "why don't you find something else to do? Pacing back and forth like that isn't going to help pass the time."

"I'm fine right here," Mae excused, continuing to stride in circles. "I don't feel comfortable leaving him alone."

"I understand that you're worried," Nami sighed, "but I promise you he's in good hands. Chopper's the best doctor that you could have for this sort of thing."

Coming to a stop in front of the door, Mae stared at the medbay's small window and let out a short sigh. "Maybe you're right."

"I'm always right," Nami winked. "Now let's find something for you to do."

"Oh! I know!" Luffy perked up, raising his hand high in the air. "We can give her a tour of the ship!"

"What?!" Usopp popped out of his garden in a panic. "Do you really think that's a good idea?! I don't think we should show a marine around our ship!"

Robin, who was resting on a lawn chair, looked up from her book. "Technically, she's not a marine."

"Robin's right," Nami agreed. "She already explained to us that she's just someone who looks after the island. She doesn't have a title under the marines."

Usopp pouted his lips to the side. "That sounds pretty fishy if you ask me..."

"I'm with Usopp on this one," Zoro said, standing up from his spot on the deck. "We don't know who she is. I don't think showing her around the ship is a smart idea."

"Will you two calm down!" Nami barked. "It's not like she's going to memorize the layout of our entire ship in one sweep and then give a report to the marines!"

"I don't need to be shown around if you guys are uneasy about it," Mae dismissed, glancing around at everyone. "Like I said, I'm fine right here."

Out of the blue, Brook appeared next to Mae. "I'd be happy to give you a tour! I don't mind showing a pretty woman like yourself around! I can even show you where the women keep their panties!"

"She doesn't want to see our panties!" Nami shouted, abruptly swinging the back of her foot against Brook's skull and sending him flying across the deck.

Mae forced out a soft breath and fell back into her routine, pacing back and forth in front of the infirmary. "She's right, I don't want to see anyone's underwear."

"But... I do..." Brook groaned, laying lifeless on the deck. "Yo-ho-ho-ho..."

Reaching out, Nami took a hold of Mae's wrist and stopped her from moving. "All right then, it's settled," she said with a confirming nod, "Brook will show you around the Thousand Sunny."

"What?! Settled?!" Usopp pointed an accusing finger at Nami. "We didn't agree on anything!"

"I want to give her a tour, too!" Luffy exclaimed, squeezing between Mae and Nami.

Growling under her breath, Nami grabbed a hold of Luffy's shoulder and pulled him back. "Oh, no you don't! One person is enough!"

"What? That's not fair!" Luffy whined. "I thought of the idea!"

Jumping up and down, Usopp waved his hands out and shook his head. "This isn't a good idea!"

Pretending that he couldn't hear Usopp's complaints, Brook walked back to Mae's side and offered her a smile. "Are you ready for that tour?"

"Are you guys just going to ignore me?!" Usopp shouted.

"I'm ready when you are," Mae answered, her lips tightening into a thin smile.

"I know you guys can hear me!!" Usopp exclaimed, throwing chunks of mud in Brook's direction. "Stop ignoring me!"

"Give it up, Usopp," Zoro muttered. "They've already made up their minds."

Emerging from the kitchen with passion lingering in his eyes, Sanji waved in Mae's direction. "When you come back from your tour, I'll have refreshments ready for you!"

Swooning from flattery, Brook clasped his hands together and held them to his cheek. "For me!?"

"Not for you, you moron!" Sanji shouted, sending him daggers. "For our beautiful guest!"

Collapsing to the ground, Brook let out an exaggerated breath. "I should've figured. Who'd call someone like me beautiful?"

Licking the front of her teeth, Mae glanced over her shoulder and looked towards Sanji. "Who's he referring to?"

"Why you of course!" Brook answered, regaining his composure.

Knitting her brows together, Mae sent Sanji a disapproving look. "I don't like that."

"But as a man, it's only right to compliment a woman on her beauty!" Sanji exclaimed with a twinkle in his eye. "Every woman should know how beautiful they are!"

"A self-confident woman already knows her measures in beauty and doesn't need a man to tell her if she is or isn't beautiful," Mae retorted plainly.

Zoro snorted under his breath. "Looks like you can't charm every woman."

"What was that?!" Sanji snarled, his eyes focusing on Zoro. "Come say that to my face, moss head!"

"Well," Dismissing the sudden spat between Zoro and Sanji, Brook turned his attention to Mae, "are you ready for that tour?"

Nodding her head slowly, Mae turned her focus back on Brook. "Lead the way."