| The Luminous Island (Part 10) |

Shifting her body around, Mae revealed a sleeping Jax to Ma'.

"I have a delivery."

Ma's expression softened when she saw him. "I was wondering where he ventured off to." Running a stressful hand down the side of her face, she shook her head. "I didn't notice he left until a few minutes ago. I'm assuming you found him in his usual spot on the roof?"

Turning back around, Mae nodded. "Yeah."

Opening the door some more, Ma' stepped to the side. "You can come in. We'll put him in my bed. YeVanna wanted to sleep with him tonight, but the second she fell asleep, she took over his bed. I'd put him in her bed, but he doesn't like to sleep on her piss stained mattress and I don't blame him."

"He seemed really upset," Mae said, following Ma' through the house, "so I stayed with him on the roof and talked about nonsense until he fell asleep."

Stopping in front of an open archway, Ma' gestured to a large, worn down bed. "He likes nonsense and I'm sure it took his mind off a few things."

Carrying him to the bed, Mae laid him down. "He reminds me of someone I know. Maybe it's because they're so close in age."

"He's very young, isn't he?" Sighing through her nose, Ma' tucked him in and then sat down on the bed. "He's going to need all the rest he can get tonight."

"Why's that?"

Ma's nostrils flared as she sucked in a breath. "He'll be starting work tomorrow."

"Work?" Mae untangled her braid and combed a hand through her hair. "But he's so young."

"Come on, let's not wake him up with our chatter."

Standing up, Ma' turned off the light and led Mae out of the room and into a small kitchen. Pulling out a chair, she offered it to Mae and then walked around a small counter and opened a cabinet.

"Would you like something to eat?"

Taking a seat, Mae shook her head. "No, thank you."

"Are you sure?" Pulling down a chipped plate, Ma' grabbed a small loaf of bread and started to cut it into slices. "We have plenty."

Mae gnawed on her lower lip. She was hungry, but she didn't want to take their food. "I'm sure."

Putting a slice of bread on the plate, Ma' smirked. "I know Jax didn't throw you up enough to share with your friends," walking to her, she set the plate down in front of her, "so please, eat."

Mae stared down at the bread. She couldn't understand why Ma' had a change of heart so suddenly. Before, she was ready to throw them out and let them walk the streets, but now she was practically shoving food down her throat.

"Thank you." Picking around the mold on the bread, Mae leaned back in the chair.

Pulling out a chair, Ma' sat down.

"So," Mae shoved another piece of bread in her mouth, "work?"

"Yes," Ma' nodded, "work."

"What kind of work?"

"He'll be working as an assigned worker starting tomorrow."

"An assigned worker?"

"How do I even begin to explain," Ma' rubbed at her mouth and pinched her lips thoughtfully.

"Each male in the household is assigned to be a worker when they turn sixteen. They work with the elders above the sand from morning until night and at the end of each month, they're paid Mua."