| Kitako Island (Part 4) |

Thank you matmat2812 for
this adorable drawing / Chibi of Aubrey!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm ready to go shopping!" Mae cheered, rocking from side to side on Rue's shoulders.

Rue looked up at her with a delightful smile. "I bet you're tired of wearing that dress."

"Sure am!" And that was the truth. Mae couldn't remember a time that she wore anything else other than the raggedy dress she had on now.

With a short chuckle, Rue bounced her and looked back at the road ahead. He was happy to spend time with Mae. He'd known her since she was born and always had a soft spot for her.

"Mmm..." Affectionately nuzzling her cheek against the bun on his head, Mae relaxed against him and stared off. For some time she stayed quiet, happy and in her own world. But she broke from her thoughts when she noticed that they were walking right by the path that led into town.

Sucking in a pressing breath, she twisted her body around while smacking him on the head over and over again. "Rue! Rue! You're going the wrong way!"

Scrunching his neck, Rue grabbed her hand to stop her from hitting him. Bouncing her back into place on his shoulders, he inched his head back. "Calm down, little one. We're not headed the wrong way."

"But town's that way!" She insisted, throwing her arm outward and pointing behind them.

Rue caught her by the hand before she could slip off his shoulders. "We're not headed to town."

"Huh?" Scrambling properly back onto his shoulders, she leaned her entire body over his head and looked him straight in the eye. "Then where're we going!?"

Rue lightly knocked his forehead against her's. "We're headed to the big city."

"The... The big city?" Mae's eyes grew ten times their normal size.

"That's right."

Slumping back, a grin gradually lit up her face and she let out the smallest squeal. She'd never been to the big city before. She always wanted to go, but her mom refused to take her. She said that it'd be too much responsibility to watch her and do what she wanted to do.

The rest of their walk to the big city was full of conversation. Mae couldn't stop talking about what she imagined the city would be like. And even though her imagination was over exaggerated, when they stepped into the big city, she wasn't disappointed.

"It smells like cookies!"

Rue sniffed the air. "Mmm! It sure does!"

"Can we get some?!"

"You want some cookies?" Rue hummed, slipping her off his shoulders.

"I really, really do!" She insisted, bouncing up and down.

"You really, really do?"

"Mhm!" Mae bobbed her head excitedly, her hair going wild and tossing into her face.

Rue brushed the hair from her cheeks. "Then let's get some cookies."

"Cookies!" Grabbing his hand, Mae followed her nose and dragged him to the nearest bakery.

When she reached the bakery, she let his hand go and pressed her face against the window. She oohed and awed at the treats that were on display, drool dripping from the corner of her mouth. Everything looked delightful and tasty. From the pink frosted cookies, to the seven tier cake that was decorated with hundreds of orange and yellow flowers.

Rue leaned close to the window and set his hand on top of her head. "Now those look good!"

"They sure do..."

"Well, what're we waiting for? Let's get you a cookie!"

Squeaking, Mae jumped in place and then ran into the store, the door chimes going wild from her intrusion.

Standing on his toes, Rue reached up and stopped the bells from ringing. "Sorry about that, Aubrey," he said, nodding to the baker.

From behind the counter, A woman smiled and waved indifferently. "I take it as a compliment when someone rushes through the doors of my bakery."

"Oh, wow!" Mae ran all over the store, admiring the variety of treats that were set out on different tables. "Did you make all of these?!"

A smile as sweet as honey graced Aubrey's lips. Leaning on an elbow, she enjoyably watched Mae. "I sure did."

"You must be busy around this time of year," Rue said, walking to the counter.

Straightening up, Aubrey fixed her blue apron and tightened the green bandanna around her pink curls. "Very. The festival brings in a lot of business."

"Oh-oh, shhh..." holding a finger to his mouth, Rue hushed her. "Let's not mention the festival. That's a surprise for her."

"I see." With a playful smirk, Aubrey held a finger to her lips. "I won't say another word." Fixing a display of chocolate chip cookies, she looked at him from the corner of her eye. "I haven't seen you in months. What brings you to the city? More gambling?"

Rue could hear the disappointment in her voice. He was known to gamble and sometimes it would get out of hand. Often he would look to her for assistance when he was low on beli and she would unwillingly help him. He didn't know why she bothered to loan him the extra beli, but she always did and he always paid her back... Eventually.

With his arms across his chest, he gestured to Mae with his head. "Not this time. I'm here to take her shopping."

Aubrey looked at Mae. "I've seen her before. In fact, I've seen her on multiple occasions."

"Yeah?"

"When I go into your town for that bread I like, I always pass by her. She sells the most beautiful roses."

Rue grabbed his earlobe uneasily. "She's the one I told you about."

"Oh," Aubrey's eyes widen slightly. "So she's Letta's-"

"Yup."

Mae Skipped over to them, holding a cookie that was in the shape of a maple leaf and painted with orange frosting. "I found the perfect one!"

A chuckle rumbled in Rue's chest when he saw Mae's face. She had crumbs all over her cheeks. Shaking his head, still chuckling, he turned to Aubrey and dug into his back pocket. "How much do I owe you for the cookie?" He paused and looked back at Mae whose mouth was covered in purple frosting. "Uh, I mean, cookies."

Aubrey tucked the cookie that Mae picked out into a small white box and tied a blue ribbon around it. "It's on the house."

"Aubrey..."

Aubrey ignored him. Leaning over the counter, she wiped a rag across Mae's mouth. "There we go, all clean."

Mae shrunk back with a fit of giggles. "Thank you!"

"I'll repay you," Rue promised, grabbing the small box. Resting a hand against Mae's shoulder, he ushered her towards the exit. "All right, little one, are you ready to try on some clothes?"

"Yes! Yes!" Jumping up and down, she turned to Aubrey and waved her entire arm around. "Bye!"

"Bye," Aubrey smiled, waving with her fingers.

Grabbing Rue's wrist, Mae tug him out of the store. "Let's go!"

Just before the door closed, Aubrey stepped around the counter. "Rue!" She called.

Catching the door, Rue stuck his head back in, his body staggering slightly as Mae tried to yank him along. "Hm?"

"Make sure you spoil that girl today."

With a soft laugh, he winked. "That's the plan."