| The Luminous Island (Part 18) |

(Kingdom of Galae - East Court Work Site - 17 Years Ago)

"Aury?"

Wiping at the sweat that dripped down his collar, Aury set his tools down and looked to his right. When he saw a young girl peek out from behind a large slab of crystal, he chuckled and scratched at his beard. Nudging his head, he motioned for her to come over.

A wide smile stretched across her face and she galloped over to him. "Aury!" She couldn't contain her excitement. "Aury! I've missed you!" Stopping in front of him, she rocked back and forth with her hands laced behind her back.

Bringing himself down on one knee, Aury greeted her with a smile and bumped her chin with a gentle fist. "It's been a while, Reena. How're you doing, kiddo?"

"Ugh!" Reena rolled her head in a circle and let out an over dramatic sigh. "I've been bored!"

Aury let out a fake gasp. "You? Bored? No!"

"Yes!" She squealed woefully. "Mom's been busy, and my brothers won't play with me!"

"They won't play with you?" He tisked disapprovingly. "That's not very nice."

"I know!" She pouted hammily, sticking her lower lip out as far as she could.

Holding a finger up, Aury smiled. "You know, I think I have just the thing to cure your boredom."

Reena's eyes lit up and she zealously bounced on her toes. "You do?! Is it a present?!"

"Yes, now close your eyes."

Squeezing her eyes shut, Reena giggled and held her hands out in anticipation. "What is it?! What is it?!"

Reaching into his back pocket, Aury pulled out a small handmade doll and placed it in her hands. "You can open your eyes now."

With an eager squeak, Reena opened her eyes. When she saw the doll, she beamed wide and held it up in admiration. "Is this for me?! She's soooo cute!"

"She is for you. Colette finished making her last week."

Reena spun around in a small circle. "Tell her thank you! I love it!"

Aury's heart swelled with happiness. "I will."

"She's so soft!"

"Colette spent an entire month collecting the materials to make her."

"And she even has the same hair color as me!" Reena admired, stroking the doll's magenta hair.

"And she has the same eye color as you, too."

Reena pressed the seafoam green buttons on the dolls face. "I love her! I love her! I love her!"

Standing back up, Aury groaned lowly and held a hand against his lower back. "I'm glad. Now, I should get back to work and you should go before someone sees you talking to me."

Reena stopped playing with her doll and tucked it into the ribbon around her dress. With sad eyes, she looked up at him. "Do I have to go?"

"It's about that time," Aury nodded, ruffling her hair. "I'd hate for you to get in trouble."

"Hmm..." Thoughtfully pouting her lips, Reena looked around. "How about before I go, we go for a walk?" She suggested.

Laughing, Aury grabbed at his beard. Even at the young age thirty-three, his blonde hair was already beginning to turn grey. "You already know the answer to that."

Reena crossed her arms stubbornly and turned her head. "You never want to go for a walk."

Deciding that it'd be best to change the subject, Aury knelt back down and laid a hand on top of her head. "Did I tell you the good news?"