Chapter 33: Teary Eyed

Ivy Bell:

The bed creaks.

"Ivy."

I don't know how I let this happen.

Warm knuckles brush against my cheek, trailing lower until the curve of my jaw.

I hold my breath, trying to calm my unsteady heartbeat.

His hand continues its slow and painful torture, drifting over me with feather light touches. I want more, but I can't seem to ask for it.

He chuckles deeply, a low sound that pulls from his chest, and I feel my insides crumble at such an angelic voice. "You've missed me, haven't you?"

"Maybe," I whisper into the darkness.

The curtains have been drawn open a crack, allowing the light of the moon to illuminate parts of Justin's tan skin. The summer heat has done him well, unlike myself.

"I've missed you."

The bed creaks again and Justin pulls himself above me, staring me down with mischievous brown eyes.

His hand lowers until his warm palm meets the front of my chest. He doesn't say anything, only stares at his long fingers that hover above my beating heart. His gaze lifts only slightly, eyelids heavy.

His lips are close. They barely brush over my own.

So close, yet so far.

And then his touch goes cold.

"Ivy."

A shiver runs up my spine and when I look up, Justin is glaring down at me with venom clear in his brown eyes.

"You should know better, Ivy."

~

I woke up in a startle.

I'm sweating and shivering all at once. I kick off the blanket that's been covering me all night, confused about my whereabouts until I spot the familiar decor.

I'm still at Justin's.

2:37AM is the time I read on the digital clock.

Sleep does not come easily.

~

I've been in bed for too long.

Putting last night's occurrence aside, I roll in the bed, trying to make the most of the warmth that makes its way through the curtains and upon my skin. The comforter between my fingers is soft and I pull it closer to my face, eyes closing again.

It still felt so strange to be in Justin's home. Not to mention, sleeping in his guest room with him only a few doors down the hall.

Disregarding my nights sleep, yesterday was a dream in itself. A little strange and disorienting yet blissful in many ways I could never explain. It was seeing this part of him, his home away from the public, the place that holds bits and pieces of his heart and soul.

Although it's scattered like bits of cosmic dust, it is there and it is real. You just have to look a little deeper and Justin had given me access to the only telescope.

If someone had told me I would be laying in this particular bed, comparing Justin to cosmic space and ethereal beauty, I'd call them crazy. Yet here I was, his existence never ceasing its presence in my mind.

In many ways, I find this frustrating and exhausting. There are moments when I've doubted him. Despite the strong hold he's unknowingly managed to have on my heart, deep within in my mind, I am still scared.