My head bloody hurts

"You gonna spend the night here?" Chris asked as I curled up in his arms. The uncomfortable hospital chairs were so much better with him in.

"I can't leave my mum, not until we know what's going on"

"I totally understand" Evans had been with us about an hour. Dad was out of surgery, they were just waiting to get him stable before we were allowed to go in and see him. My mum had fallen asleep at about 3am in the corner of the waiting room, Chris had found a blanket for her and she was peaceful so we hadn't woken her to let her know what was happening just yet.

A doctor came out and sat next to her "Mrs Lark," he woke her and I got up and sat with her. "I'm Dr Williams, I operated on your husband"

"Is he ok?" She asked quickly and nervously.

"He is." He replied and I felt my mum sink into the chair. "He's stable now and in a moment you can go through. I just wanted to go though his injuries before you go in so you can be a little prepared" he continued to tell us that dad had a lot of internal bleeding which they eventually managed to get under control, he had shattered ribs which had been repaired and had a big knock to the head. He had swelling on his brain but they were hopeful there would be no lasting damage. I felt my mum shake as he went on. She seemed to get weaker and weaker as he listed them, Chris must have noticed my panic as he came over and knelt next to me. "So you can go in, but there's only space for two of you at the moment, sorry"

"I'll hold bags out here" Chris smiled. "Now come on, let's get you in to see him" he helped my mum up and we held onto each other as we left him in the waiting area.

I sat with mum and dad for a while, but he was asleep, and wasn't going to be aware of much. So after giving him a kiss and letting him know I loved him, I left my mum to it.

"You sure you don't want to stay?" Chris checked again as we walked down to his car.

"There no point in me being knackered tomorrow. There was a comfy chair for my mum, she's going to be half asleep tomorrow when someone's going to need to listen to things and ask questions. That can be me"

"Sounds like a plan baby. Right, home"

We pulled up to Chris's house as it was beginning to get light I'd dozed off during the first couple of miles. I'd no really idea what the time was. I'd missed hours flying, and felt like I hadn't slept in weeks. Chris carried me into the house and up to bed, I stirred as he pulled my shoes off and the blanket over us.

He was up before me the next morning and in full care-taking mode. I wandered into the kitchen to find him cooking breakfast and packing supplies for the day.

"I confess. I slept on the plane" he smiled and kissed the top of my head as I sat at the breakfast bar. "How you doing?"

"Yeah I'm ok. Mum text saying not much has changed"

"Well, we'll head over after this and give her a bit of a break. Rich said he'd swing by this afternoon when he's back in see how everyone's doing. The dog's with the neighbours, I'm here for you for as long as you need me" I leant into his side as he spoke. He was calm and collected and everything I needed right now.

When we got to the hospital dad was coming round. The bay was full of doctors and nurses, Chris waited outside as mum and I held dad's hands, we spoke to him and told him we loved him and hoped that he would be ok.

"Mr. Lark, hi there I'm Dr. Williams. You're in Mass Gen at the moment. Everything's ok. You were in an accident but you're doing good" dad's eyes looked panicked as they removed the breathing tubes and made him a little more comfortable.

"Darling, you're going to be ok" mum whispered.

"Mr. Lark, how are you feeling?" The doctor asked and we all held our breath waiting to see if he could hear/talk/respond appropriately.

"My head bloody hurts" dad mumbled and we all laughed a little and I felt myself relax. The staff carried on asking him questions and checking him over. Mum and I filed him in on a few bit and pieces and I was ushered out as he needed to be checked by the surgeon. Mum wasn't leaving now she was back with him.

"How's he doing?" Chris jumped up as I walked back out to let him know.

"He's good. Awake, talking, grumpy"

"Back to normal then" he joked. "You ok?"

"Much better now I've spoken to him, you know?"

"Definitely. So what's the plan now then?" He seemed keen to leave.

"Well I'm gonna stay with mum. Make sure she's ok, you can get off if you want to? You don't have to stay here for us"

"Yes I do! I want to be here. I just might pop home, Rich was asking if I minded doing a little Cap tour of the kids ward and they never recognise me with the beard" he stroked his stubble "I thought I'd have a quick shave, find my t-shirt and pop down there whilst I'm waiting for you" he smiled warmly and he melted my heart. He truly was the nicest guy on the planet!

We headed to the children's ward together, I think the moms and nurseries were more excited to see Captain America than the kids, but they all had big smiles on their faces. I got talking to a few of the families who had been away from their kids or sleeping in the hospital chair for months. I felt shit after one night. It got me thinking.