32. What's a Chest, Without a Heart?

Start from the beginning

"It didn't feel like the best time." Clarke said, reminding them all where they were.

"I can't believe it." Roan said. His face was stern. Everyone turned to look at him, anxious for his reaction.

"Roan, please don't make a scene here." Clarke begged softly.

"Let me finish." Roan said, holding up a hand to stop her. "I can't believe my little sister is getting married before me."

Clarke broke out into a massive grin and stood to hug her brother. Roan gestured for Bellamy to join them and the three of them held on to each other tightly. It wasn't long before Octavia and Lincoln joined in too. The five of them stood in a group huddle, holding onto each other.

"Guys." Echo said, breaking their group hug.

Roan turned to look at Echo, he was about to invite her to join until he saw her looking down the hall.

"The doctor is coming." Echo said quietly.

Bellamy and Octavia took a step forward as the Doctor approached them.

"Is she okay?" Bellamy asked quickly.

"She's fine. She's awake and asking for you guys." The doctor smiled.

"Can we all go? These guys are like family to her too." Octavia asked, pointing to the others.

"As long as you're not too long, you can all go." The doctor nodded. "Room 218, second floor."

"Thank you." Bellamy nodded.

"I'll be with you shortly, you guys go on up." The doctor smiled.

Octavia, Roan, Lincoln and Echo began walking towards the elevator but Bellamy pulled Clarke back.

"What's wrong, are you okay?" Clarke asked.

"I just wanted to apologise for snapping at you like that earlier. I took my anger out on you and I shouldn't have. I'm sorry." Bellamy said sadly.

"Oh Bellamy." Clarke pulled him into a tight hug. "Don't be sorry. This is hard for all of us."

"Thank you for being here." Bellamy whispered.

"Like Id be anywhere else. Aurora is family." Clarke said quickly.

Bellamy nodded his head and the two followed the others up to Aurora's room. When they arrived, the others were already in the room. Aurora sat up in her hospital bed, smiling at Octavia.

"There you are!" Octavia said as she spotted Bellamy and Clarke enter the room.

"Sorry we were just talking." Clarke smiled shyly.

"How are you feeling Mom?" Bellamy asked.

"I'm fine sweetie, it's nothing to worry about." Aurora dismissed their concerned looks.

"I don't understand, if everything's fine, why are you here?" Octavia asked.

"Just some tests." Aurora shrugged.

"Tests for what? You were rushed in by an ambulance." Roan said.

"Look, it's nothing for you guys to worry about. Once I know everything, then I'll tell you all." Aurora said sternly.

"Mom, What are they testing you for?" Bellamy asked.

Aurora took a deep breath and looked around the room at all the people she loved. She finally looked over to Bellamy and Octavia before answering.

"Cancer."

"Cancer?!" Octavia repeated.

"They think you have cancer?" Clarke stepped closer.

"They're not sure yet. But they want to do some tests." Aurora nodded.

"So you might not?" Roan said hopefully.

"No, I might not." Aurora smiled gently. She loved Roan and Clarke just like she loved her own children. She could tell the news was as hard for the Griffins as it was for Bellamy and Octavia.

All of a sudden, Bellamy shook his head and quickly left the room. Aurora's face fell as she watched her son walk away. It hurt her to know her son was upset because of her. She pulled Clarke's hand in hers.

"Go to him. He needs you Clarke." Aurora said softly.

"Are you sure?" Clarke asked. She had wanted to follow Bellamy, but she also didn't want to leave Aurora.

"Go, I know you will be able to talk some sense into him." Aurora smiled.

Clarke nodded and took off after Bellamy. She searched the halls and eventually found him outside the hospital, sitting on a wall.

Clarke knew Bellamy well enough to know that sometimes there was nothing she could say. Sometimes all Bellamy needed was for her to just simply be with him. And so she sat beside him and looked up to the stars. She remained silent, waiting for Bellamy to talk.

"Let me guess, she sent you out here to calm me down?" Bellamy said, looking down at his feet.

"No. I just didn't want you to be alone." Clarke said simply.

"I'm fine. I just needed some air." Bellamy said.

"Are you? Because I'm freaking out right now and she's not even my mom." Clarke said, looking at Bellamy.

"I thought you were supposed to make me feel better? Give me the whole 'she's strong, she'll be fine' speech?" Bellamy raised a brow.

"Well I tried that earlier and almost got my head bit off." Clarke smirked.

Bellamy let out a low chuckle. He was kind of pleased that Clarke didn't try to comfort him by telling him that Aurora would be fine. When in fact they didn't know if she would be.

"Look, I'm not gonna sit here and say everything's going to be okay because I don't know. But when my dad had his accident and even when he died, you were always there for me. Even when we went through all that stuff with Finn, you were there for me. You never once let me feel like I was alone." Clarke said, placing her hand on his thigh.

"I'll always be here for you Clarke." Bellamy said, looking at her.

"And now it's my turn to be here for you. You don't have to put on a brave face for me Bellamy. No matter what happens, I will be here. You're not alone in this Bellamy. You know that right?" Clarke asked.

"I know. I don't know what I did to deserve you, but I'm pleased you're here." Bellamy smiled. He placed his hand on Clarke's cheek and pushed his lips to hers.

"Come on, they'll be kicking everyone out soon. Let's go and see your Mom." Clarke said, standing up.

Bellamy nodded his head and followed Clarke into the hospital. Hand in hand, they made their way back up to Auroras room. Bellamy was relieved to see his mother laughing with his sister and friends.

"Feel better?" Aurora smirked when Bellamy approached the side of the bed.

"Yeah. I'm sorry I ran out like that. I just freaked out." Bellamy said, holding Auroras hand.

"Don't apologise Bellamy. I understand." Aurora smiled.

"And I don't care what Clarke says, I know it was you that sent her out." Bellamy smirked.

"Because I know my son." Aurora winked at Clarke.

"Anyway don't you guys have some big news you wanna share?" Octavia teased, elbowing Bellamy.

"Big news?" Aurora said, looking between Clarke and Bellamy.

"We're getting married." Bellamy smiled.

"That's amazing! I'm so happy for you guys!" Aurora beamed. She hugged them both tightly.

"Thanks Mom." Bellamy smiled gratefully.

It was another hour before Bellamy and the others were asked to leave. They promised Aurora they would come back and visit her tomorrow before leaving the hospital and heading home.