25. Hard to breathe

"I mean, it was like the woman actually wanted to die! I love my job but today has officially been the worst day of my life!" Clarke groaned as she dropped down onto the couch beside Bellamy.

She was rambling about her day at work, venting her frustrations to Bellamy, while he simply sat and listened. Bellamy didn't say a word, just nodded occasionally to show he agreed or was listening. Clarke had done this a few times recently and Bellamy was always there to listen. However today, Clarke seemed more stressed than usual. The events of the day had affected her more than usual.

It had been just over a week since Bellamy had found out there was a chance he could become a father. And still, Clarke was none the wiser about it all. Bellamy was certain she'd picked up on his mood changes and his edginess, but she kept quiet about it.

"These things happen Clarke, you're a great nurse, but you can't save everyone." Bellamy said softly as Clarke climbed into his lap. He wrapped his arms around her tightly.

"I know, but I don't get why she was so stubborn. She wouldn't let us give her any medication and almost knocked one of the interns out with a headbut when he tried to take her blood pressure." Clarke rolled her eyes.

"Not everyone wants to be saved." Bellamy sighed.

"I guess." Clarke nodded her head in agreement. "Tomorrow's going to be fun."

"You working another double?" Bellamy asked.

Clarke nodded her head as she rubbed her eyes. "First shift in the ER, second on the maternity ward."

"I thought maternity had their own head nurse?" Bellamy furrowed his brows. His heart rate increased rapidly.

"They do but she's off sick so they asked me to cover. I don't mind, it's not as fast paced as the ER up there." Clarke smiled. "Besides, I get to see some cute babies come into the world." She wrapped her arms around Bellamy's neck.

Bellamy rolled his eyes and shook his head. He'd never understood the fascination with women and newborn babies.

"I said I'd hang with Murphy tomorrow anyway so I probably won't see you tomorrow." Bellamy informed her.

"You could always surprise me with lunch again." Clarke smirked, referring to the other day when he had bought her lunch and surprised her at work with it.

"I just might do that." Bellamy grinned.

Clarke pushed her lips to his with force. Bellamy was still trying to find the best way to tell Clarke about Gina. Every time he went to tell her, Clarke would beat him to it with bad news of her own and he didn't have the heart to add to her stress. Every day at work, Roan had pulled him aside and asked him if he'd told her yet, and each time Bellamy would simply shake his head nervously.

He understood why Roan was on his back about it so much. If it was Octavia in this situation instead of Clarke, he'd want her to know straight away.

~~~~

Clarke brushed the lose hair out of her face as she threw her lunch rubbish in the bin. She'd had all of ten minutes to shove a sandwich down her throat and drink a scolding hot coffee. A small groan escaped her lips as she spotted the blob of mayo sitting on her uniform.

"You okay there hon?" A voice sounded behind her.

"Hey Kate, yeah I'm fine, busy day." Clarke pulled her best convincing smile as she wiped her shirt.

"I hear you're leaving us for maternity." Kate teased. Kate worked with Clarke in the ER. They had both been residents together and Clarke was pleased she had a friend working with her.