21. Camp Fire.

Clarke had barely said two words to Bellamy or Roan since they arrived at the campsite. At first Bellamy had decided to just give her the space she needed, but as the sky began to grow dark and the air became cooler, Bellamy tried to talk things out with Clarke. He pulled her aside from everyone else just behind the tree line.

"Are you going to ignore me for the entire trip?" Bellamy asked, folding his arms across his chest.

"I have nothing to say to you right now." Clarke said coldly.

"I've said I'm sorry, what else do you want from me?" Bellamy sighed.

"I wanted you to listen to me at the diner. I wanted you to believe me when I said I handled it!" Clarke said loudly.

Bellamy's eyes flicked towards their camp to make sure no one was listening to them. He was beginning to get frustrated with Clarke. He'd done what he did, to protect her.

"I'm sorry for trying to protect you!" Bellamy scoffed.

"How were you protecting me?! He'd already done it and I'd already handled it when you and Roan went in there and nearly killed the poor kid!" Clarke exclaimed.

"I did it for you! To defend you! If I knew there were men like that in there I wouldn't have let you go in alone!" Bellamy argued.

"You threw him across the room Bellamy!" Clarke yelled.

"Because he assaulted you!" Bellamy yelled back.

"You need to stop being so overprotective and... and.." Clarke searched for the right word.  

"Caring? Concerned?" Bellamy suggested harshly.

"Suffocating!" Clarke snapped. "I don't need you to treat me like a child every time something happens!"

"Sorry. I won't bother next time." Bellamy growled before storming off to into the trees.

"Where are you going?!" Clarke called after him.

"You don't need me remember?" Bellamy spat over his shoulder as he walked away.

Clarke let out a frustrated groan and stomped back towards their campsite. Octavia noticed her come back first.

"Where's Bell?" She asked, looking behind Clarke.

"Gone for a walk." Clarke replied bluntly.

She sat down on a log beside Harper and stared into the fire. She was angry at Bellamy but she was also worried about him. Bellamy had a tendency to let his anger get the better of him and didn't always think with a level head. Clarke just hoped he came back soon.

Meanwhile, Bellamy trekked through the trees, muttering under his breath about how ungrateful Clarke was. Bellamy knew that Clarke could take care of herself. She was the strongest woman he knew, that's one of the reasons he loved her so much. She could handle herself and didn't need anyone to come and rescue her. But she was too important to Bellamy for him to take that risk. Bellamy would always protect Clarke, even when she didn't think she needed it.

It was fully dark by the time Bellamy stopped walking. A quick glance at his phone told him that he'd been walking around for almost two hours. It also told him he had five missed calls from Octavia, three from Roan and seven from Jasper. Deciding he'd had enough of sulking in the woods, he turned back and headed towards the camp.

The fresh air was comforting for Bellamy. He loved being outside. He felt free. Being surrounded by nature had always brought a sense of calmness over Bellamy. He couldn't explain it, but he felt more relaxed than he had a few hours ago. He'd had enough time to cool off and now he wanted to make things right with Clarke. He just hoped that Clarke would forgive him.