39

As soon as it turned 12am on Dylan's birthday, it was as if all hell broke loose in her dorm.

The phone rang and before Dylan could even say hello, Roger was practically screaming at her wishing her a happy birthday, while Liz just about kicked the door down with a plate of cupcakes in hand.

And the birthday girl had just been sitting quietly in her room working on a drawing.

The phone call with Roger turned into a phone call with all of the boys, with all of them eventually singing and playing happy birthday for her while she just laughed her ass off at it.

And after eating more than enough cupcakes and talking with Liz, they were both out like lights soon enough.

Dylan didn't have anything planned for her actual birthday. She really hadn't done anything for it in four years, seeing as she was always at school and never had any friends or family to celebrate with.

She had mentioned it in passing to Liz, and Liz hadn't forgotten that.

So, once Dylan was done with her morning shift at her work, Liz picked her up and they were off to Santa Monica for the day.

They hung out on the pier, going on all the rides, swimming in the ocean and tanning - or in Dylan's case, burning.

Once the sun began setting, they made their way back to their dorm. But not before making a quick stop at the liquor store, where Liz bought more than enough alcohol for two girls.

"This is so much, Liz. Are you crazy?" Dylan exclaimed as they walked through the halls of their building to their room, both of them with their arms full of various bottles.

"It's your birthday!" Liz defended. "Go wild. It's just me here anyways."

"Are we even allowed to have this much alcohol in the room?" Dylan asked.

"Hey, we're both legal-" Liz replied before cutting herself off.

Dylan opened her mouth to ask what was wrong, but no words came out once she noticed was Liz was looking at.

The giant bunch of flowers sitting outside their door.

"You got a secret admirer?" Liz joked as she managed to open the door.

"Doubt it," Dylan laughed, setting the bottles on the counter before going back to pick up the flowers outside their room.

"It's from my boyfriend," Dylan told Liz, reading the card that was with it;

'You never told me if you have a favourite flower, so I just asked the florist to do whatever was biggest and prettiest. Hope it's alright. Happy birthday, Dyl. Hopefully I can see you soon.
Lots of love, Roger.'

Dylan tried phoning him in her room, but after a few rings, it just went to his answering machine. Figuring he was either recording or sleeping, she left a quick message before heading back out to the small living area where Liz was.

"Where did you find him?" Liz asked. "Or did you custom order the guy?"

"He's too much," Dylan said, trying to laugh off how flustered she was feeling from the gesture.

"Damn, you got it bad," Liz said as she poured each of them a glass of wine.

"What does that mean?"

"Your face is red and he's not even here," Liz laughed while Dylan got even more red, taking a sip from her glass to try and hide her embarrassment.

"Why are you always so eager to bug me about him?" Dylan asked.

"For the same reason you keep him a mystery to me!" Liz said, making them both laugh.