16

To Dylan's surprise, her sister was able to not bring up Roger in front of their parents. You'd think that given the fact that Jane didn't live at home anymore it wouldn't be a problem, but being that it was the holidays, Jane was over there a lot. Even after Christmas Day as she wanted to hang out with her sister before she went back to school.

Jane actually hadn't brought up Roger or bugged Dylan about it at all. There were a few times when a Queen song would come on the radio or when their family was sitting around their dinner table and Dylan was asked what was new in California and Jane would have to bite her tongue (not that Dylan couldn't see her holding in a laugh).

Dylan thought she was in the clear for the rest of her time at home. It was New Year's Eve and Jane hadn't bugged her. Dylan honestly thought she'd forgotten about the whole thing...that was until one morning.

Jane had spent the night with Dylan, their parents were at work and it was just the two of them in the morning. Jane was watching tv in the living room when Dylan finally woke up and came downstairs to eat.

"Morning, Sleeping Beauty," Jane joked, earning a grunt and a small nod in response. "Nice shirt."

Dylan looked down at her clothes, realizing it was the Queen shirt Roger had sent her. She rolled her eyes before replying.

"Normally I'd tell you off, but I'm not awake enough yet to do so," she said, making her sister laugh. Jane was about to respond but was cut off by the phone ringing.

"Got it," Jane said as she stood up and walked to the other room where the phone was, leaving Dylan in the kitchen to continue making her breakfast.

"Hello?" She said into the receiver.

"Hello, is Dylan there?"

"May I ask who's speaking?" Jane asked, not being able to recognize the voice.

"It's Roger," he replied, though it sounded almost like a question.

Not that Jane noticed the tone. Her eyes bugged out and she went silent as she realized who it was.

"Hello?" Roger said after a few moments of silence, thinking the line cut off.

"Oh, um, she's just, uh, washing the dishes. Yeah, that's what she's doing," Jane lied, wanting to get more gossip from mystery boy.

That, and she was somewhat shocked to be speaking to the drummer of Queen.

"Oh, alright. Could you tell her to call me back then when she's done?"

"Oh, I think she's almost done, don't worry," Jane quickly said, not wanting him to hang up. "Hold on, I'll tell her."

She then began tapping on the bottom end of the receiver to make it sound like she was moving. Also yelling out a "Dylan, hurry up!", leaving Dylan, who was quietly eating her cereal in the kitchen, very confused.

"What?" Dylan said back.

"Never mind," Jane said, covering the receiver as she spoke so Roger wouldn't hear.

"Yeah, she should be done soon," Jane said to Roger. "I'm her sister, by the way."

"Oh, hello. Jane, right? She's mentioned you before."

"All good things, I hope."

"It wasn't much but it wasn't anything bad," Roger said with a laugh. It was quiet between them for a little bit before Roger spoke again. "Sorry, I don't know you so I don't really have much to say."

"Oh, no worries," Jane said cheerily, taking this as her opportunity to talk. "Dylan told me you're a drummer, eh?"

"Yes. Have been since I was about 12," he said proudly. "Do you play any instruments?"