Chapter 37.5

"Gwen, this is Commander Dot Pyxis," Erwin gestured towards an old, bald man. "He is the head of the Garrison Regiment."

"Good to see you again, Lieutenant Gwen." Pyxis extended his hand out for Gwen to shake, but she shook it off.

Then Erwin turns to another bald official, this time he looks tensed and angrier than the previous official introduced. "This is Keith Shadis, head of the Cadet Trainee Corps."

Gwen eyed Keith with annoyance in her eyes and so did Keith.

"Suprised to see a survivor of being a titan's meal after years," said Keith, arms crossed.

"I survived you bald bastard!" Gwen shrieked, resisting the urge to punch Keith's bald head.

But Keith only smiled at her cocky reply. This was the Gwen they once knew.

After introducing some of the officials, the room was now left with Gwen, Erwin, Hanji, Mike, Hiruka, and Levi.

"Hey Erwin!" Hanji started, "can I experiment Gwen too?!" She said with sparkle in her eyes.

"Fine for me, but you'll have to ask Gwen."

"Gwen can-"

"No," Gwen deadpanned, cutting Hanji off.

"Why?" Hanji whined, she was about to speak again when Levi kicked her leg causing her to fall back to her seat and wince in pain.

"My titan abilities have their limits, Hanji." Gwen calmly states at the scientist.

"Is that so? Can you elaborate further?" asked Hiruka, leaning forward.

Gwen took a deep breath as she looked around, then her eyes suddenly came to halt when it met with steel grey ones.

Levi broke the stare by looking down on his tea. Then Gwen spoke, "as you can see, my hair used to be brown but now has a tint of red."

Everyone just nodded then she continued. "For every time I transform into a titan, some strands on my hair changes to red. My abilities and strength gets weaker by every transformation, which is why I only transform in urgent situations, not for some petty titan experiments." Gwen said as she shot Hanji a glance, which made Hanji sunk down in her seat.

"But what happens when your hair is fully colored in red?" Hiruka asked curiously.

"That, I don't know." Gwen answered honestly, shrugging her shoulders.

"Normal titan shifters only have 13 years to live at most since they started having their abilities," Gwen continued. "But I have 18 years, which I believe it has something to do with my hair changing color every transformation."

Hanji's smile turned into a frown, knowing that she can't experiment Gwen's titan, a rare kind of titan. Gwen noticed Hanji's sudden change of expression and suddenly felt sorry for her.

While Levi sat in his seat silently. He can't seem to get Hanji's words out of his mind. He shifted his gaze towards the necklace jangling from her neck - the gift he gave on her 18th birthday.

Levi stared at Gwen who was chatting with the officers. How could she sit there and look so beautiful? He said in his thoughts, he looked at the bracelet in his wrist. He sighed deeply then stood up making everyone turn their attention to him, "tch. What are you looking at?" He said, annoyed.

"Where are you going Shorty?" asked Hanji.

"I have precious paperwork," Levi replied boredly and headed towards the door.

"But I thought you hated paperwork?"

Levi froze as Gwen said those words. He slowly turns his direction towards Gwen and said, "how would you even know?"

Gwen was also confused, somehow those words abruptly came out of her mouth. "I d-don't actually know..."

Levi nodded in response and left.

---

Boots clomped down the hallway as Levi strodes stiffly. He halts infront of a certain door, he knew it was rude to enter someone's room without permission but he went inside anyway.

The sweet vanilla scent greeted his nose, he looked around the room to see it clean and organized.

He then slides the bracelet from his wrist and stares at it intently before giving it a quick peck, then he laid it ontop of the nightsand adjacent to Gwen's bed.

He exhaled sharply before standing up, then he took a one quick glance at hid old lover's room before closing the door.