Chapter 14

Third-person POV

Levi takes a cloth out of his pocket and wipes the blood away from his blades, tch disgusting, he says to himself.

He had just killed a few remaining titans, he called his squad and ordered them to follow him back to the forest.

"I spot two titans left, heichou!" Eld says. "Alright, we'll capture those for Hanji." Levi replies.

They zipped their way in the woods when they heard sobs coming from beneath the trees. "Captain, I think someone's below the trees." Gunther said.

Levi and his squad ungrappled their hooks and lands on the ground to see Hanji injured and crying.

"Oi, Hanji." Hanji looks up to see the Special Operations Squad. "What happend here?"

Hanji didn't reply as she continues crying.

"WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED HERE HANJI?!" Levi can tell Hanji's in grief.

"G-Gwen..." Hanji says in between sobs, Levi's eyes widened.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN?" Levi was now starting to get worried.

"S-She saved me a-and..." Hanji opened her palms revealing Gwen's bracelet.

Levi stood petrified.

"She told me, s-she l-loves you very much, a-and she always will."

Then Eld, Gunther, and even Oluo and Petra were now crying at the news. Levi takes the bracelet from Hanji's hands and holds it dearly to his chest.
He felt tears about to spill from his eyes, but no, he won't cry infront of people.

Levi's heart started to shatter to pieces. "Which titan is it?" Levi asked still in a monotone voice, but in the inside he was breaking.

Hanji pointed at the titan walking around.

Levi unsheathed his blades, anger and sadness both welled up inside of him as he race towards the titan at full speed. He spins himself around the titan's body leaving deep cuts, he then goes to the legs, slashing it ankles off as the titan kneels to the ground. He sliced and sliced despite the blood staining his uniform.

"Do you know how it feels like to be in pain?!" Levi screams at the titan, "you took away the only person I cared about, the one that made me happy, and the one I have ever loved!" He endlessly slices the titan, limbs falling and what's now left is the torso and the head.

Levi stands at the top of the head, tears falling from his eyes, "you should fucking pay!" He grapples down to the nape and slices the whole head off.

He kneels to the ground, he tries stopping his tears but he can't. Erwin and the whole corps stops infront of Levi, and saw him crying.

"Levi, what happened?" Erwin questions. Levi didn't respond.

"Lieutenant Gwen died in the hands of this titan while saving Section Commander Hanji, sir." Gunther explained while carrying an unconscious Hanji.

The whole corps erupted in tears, especially her squad. Ayra and Liela crying hard in each other's arms, Hiruka kneels to the ground as he sobs and Yuki crying while patting his back.

Everyone were now crying, except Petra who was looking sad.

"Everyone!" Erwin calls everyone's attention while wiping tears away, "A soldier's death must not interfere with our battle! But for now, we'll retreat."

This expedition had the least deaths, or death, no one died but Gwen.

Everyone retreated back to the wall, as they enter, a crowd was gathering up like always.

The crowd cheers, "everyone came back alive!" Someone says.

Someone from the crowd counted the corps, "only one died, but it's fine! Only one died!"

Levi heard those words, anger rose up, he dismounted from his horse about to beat the guy up. But Erwin stopped him.

"GET OUT OF THE WAY, ERWIN."

"That's enough, Levi."

Levi glared at Erwin and went back to his horse.

Next day

A funeral is being held for Gwen the following day, everyone wore their best formal clothes for the occassion.
Everyone gathered outside the headquarters, Erwin stands in front with Levi beside him.

"Gwen was an amazing person," Erwin started. "She inspired everyone, the whole corps and even the citizens." The cadets nod in agreement. "She was a selfless one, she cares more about her comrades than herself, and for that we should forever be grateful for having met a truly great and inspiring soldier."

"Her struggles are now over, she's in a better place now. May you rest in peace, Gwen."

Sobs erupted the place, everyone was now crying except for Levi who stood their emotionless.

After an hour, everyone were slowly leaving. Levi was now alone, he approached Gwen's grave and knelt down. The raven haired man was now crying harder than ever.

"You promised me, you fucking promised!" Levi exclaims as he recalls the promise she made before the expedition.

He looks at the bracelet wrapped around his wrist, he never liked jewelry, but this was an exception. It's more than a jewelry, it's the only thing left of Gwen.

"I'll a-avenge you." He brushed his fingers in the tombstone, "then we'll be together again."

He stood up, took one last glance and walked away.