Chapter 3

Third-Person POV

Gwen entered the mess hall her stomach grumbling from hunger, and noticed that lunch was over. But Levi, Mike, and Hanji were still eating in the table.

"Lieutenant Gwen!" Ayra, who was washing the dishes, saluted at her presence. "There aren't any food left left, Lieutenant." She frowned.

Gwen nodded at her and smiled, "it's okay I'm not hungry." She lied. Levi who was very observant, he noticed Gwen clutching her stomach and knows instantly she was lying.

"Oi, where have you been, brat? Clearly you haven't eaten." He said flatly.

"None of your business." She replies.

"It's my fucking business! I'm your corporal and you're--" Levi was cut off by Gwen who was growing impatient at his words.

"I'm not your stupid cadet anymore, corporal." And with that, Gwen left the mess hall and marched her way to her room.

Why does he even care? Don't do that, Levi. Don't give me hope.

Levi took his plate with an untouched bread, took Hanji's untouched coffee, which Hanji didn't even bother to protest since she knew what he was doing, and left the mess hall.

Gwen stared at the ceiling while caressing her hungry stomach. Maybe I should just sleep and wait for dinner. She said to herself.

She started dozing off when a knock interrupted her. "State your name and business."

"It's Liela, Gwen. Erwin sent me these paperworks to you."

"Come in."

Liela went in, her hands stacked with paperworks. "Ughh, Erwin sure does know how to spend someone's free time doesn't he?" Gwen groaned as she took the paperworks from Liela's hands.

Liela chuckled at her lieutenant's response. "I think it's best to finish that, lieutenant."

"It's Gwen, and fucking stop calling me lieutenant, Liela. It annoys me."

"Whatever you say, Gwen. Hiruka and I can help you with that maybe after dinner." She offered. Gwen was happy to have squadmates like them. "Sure Liela."

She saluted and left the room.

Gwen laid down once again and started dozing off. Then another knock disturbed her. "Name and business." She said annoyed.

No one replied from the other side of the door, and the door clicked open revealing Levi with a cup of coffee and a plate of bread in his hands.

"The fuck you want?" Gwen retorted.
Her eyes scanning the food.

"I know you're hungry, brat. Eat up, you need it." Levi said, and his tone rather concerned. Gwen was shocked at his kind gesture, he rarely shows it.

She was feeling butterflies in her stomach once again. "I thought there wasn't any food left?"

"It's mine. I already drank tea, and it's enough." He handed the plates and she gladly accepted it.

"Why are you doing this, Levi?" She questioned. "Since when do you care about my well being?"

Levi stared at her with his intimidating cold glare. "I may not show it sometimes, but I care about my comrades. Don't think you're special just because I'm doing this."

Those words hit her like a brick, her heart was hurting, she never had this feeling before. Why now?

"I, o-of course. Did I say I'm special, captain?" Gwen acted like nothing happend but deep down, his words were hurting her, but she knows how to hide her emotions too well.

Levi nodded, "eat up. We'll discuss formations with Erwin later." Then he left.

Gwen ate silently while his words replayed over and over in her mind. Of course how could I be stupid? I'm just a brat to him, no one special.

She walked to the kitchen and placed her dishes then walked to the forest where the cadets were practicing their 3D Maneuver Gear. Cadets were saluting as she passed by and grabbed and a gear then tied on its straps.

Gwen was busy teaching Hiruka her technique in slashing the titans. She and Levi suprisingly have the same fighting style, the way they hold their swords, and have similar strategies.

"Hold it like this." Gwen demonstrated, Hiruka followed her and got it right. "Then once a titan approaches, be quick. Ungrapple the hook and slash its arms." Hiruka was learning quickly and Gwen acknowledged it.

From afar, a certain raven haired man was observing them, he growled at the sight of the two being comfortable with each other. He approached them, "oi, Regeay. Erwin will be discussing the formations now." Levi said with a hint of annoyance.

Gwen nodded and told Hiruka to practice more then they both headed towards the commander's office.