Chapter 22

Chapter 22: Surprises

I stood in my stance. Knees bent and sword out to the side, its blade point towards the skeleton. Everyone fell silent as the tension built up. Dangee stood totally relaxed, a smirked still planted on his dry black skull. He only wore iron shoulder pads and a collar big enough to hide his body neck. This would make it harder to break him in half.

My Notch.... If he's protecting his vulnerable parts then I have no choice left but to aim for his other bones. But I can't break them. This will be hard.

I sighed in my mind.

- And.... Fight!- the judge shouted and the skeleton charged at me like lightning.

I raised my sword and our blades clashed together causing sparks to fly off. He pressed against it to try and push me off the podium. I strained to keep my balance and pushed all my strength back at him. He staggered back and growled, obviously ticked off.

My turn. I ran at him, and slashed from the left. Blocked. From the right. Blocked. Different method. I lashed out from my left again and side stepped at the same throwing the skeleton off balance. With my right hand still occupied I raised my foot and kicked him in the side of the ribs. I heard a small crack from his bones and I jumped back to avoid getting my own ribs broken by his large stone sword.

Just in time I managed to avoid the fatal blow though I did get a light touch from it in the last second. The skeleton jumped at me once more as I shrugged off the slight pain. I grabbed my sword with both hand and brought it above my head just in time to stop his sword from bashing my head in. I stared in his empty socket and quickly stepped onto his foot crushing it into the podium. He yelped and fell back.

I brought my sword down onto him again only to be stopped by his own.

- 1! ... 2! ... 3!- some of the crowd began screaming. The other half stood petrified seeing their idol down.

- Not... Yet!- Dangee announced gritting his teeth and pushing onto my sword as much as he could. He tried sitting back up but I only pushed my sword down harder.

- 4!.... 5!- the referee continued, - Daniel won first round!-

I took my sword away and stepped back to give the skeleton space to stand up. He much mush larger than me anyways. The look on his face wasn't as pleasant as I imagined it to be. It was clear he was furious.

- I'll beat you, human. Next round.- he announced and turned back to the man who only nodded.

We returned to our places in the corners of the podium and I took a quick drink from the water Veronica brought me. - Thanks.- I said.

- You're doing great. But don't expect it to be easier. When Dangee is in a fit he can be a monster.- she replied with a slight worry.

- I am too.- I smirked and winked at her.

- I'm not joking. You may have won the first round, but he won't let you do so in the next one. Just don't get your bones broken. He is as strong as you.-

I frowned and nodded understanding. Then stood back up and got ready.

The man sounded the start of the battle and this time it was me who charged at him. I jumped and brought my sword down this time which was blocked again. I landed behind him and tried to round-house kick him again but my foot was grabbed and he threw back to the middle of the podium. My sword slipped out of my hand and clattered to the other side. I landed on my back and lost breath for a second. I pushed myself up slowly though the skeleton's foot stomped on my chest.

I grabbed his thin ankle and tried to crash it in my hands. The skeleton roared and swung the blade at my arm sending pain through all of it. I gasped and immediately let go.