32

"Hello Adella." I say with a smile on my face.

"Charlie! When are you coming back, I'm so lonely here!" she cries out. I laugh and put down the blender. 

"I don't know Adella, when would you like me to come back? Why don't you just call Landon or John to tell him to come back?"

"They won't listen to me, just because I want girl company. The wives don't like me for sure, since I told them I'm single. One of them is already getting a divorce actually. He got fed up with her and slapped her with the papers."

"Well I wish them the best."

"What are you talking about? She was so mean to him and he just showed her in love and showered her in everything and anything she wanted! Did you not see how she was dressed the day of the pool party? She was the only one in heels might I add. She thought she was a model in the middle of summer in Texas."

"Calm down there. I'm just saying I hope they are both doing well, and don't do anything harsh. I know how it is to go through something stressful and have a loved one go and treat you like that." I think back to my days with a man I once called fiancé. I loved him with all my heart but he took it and held it in his hands while beating me with it while laughing in my face. I turned a blind eye thinking because it was a difficult time for him and I, but I was wrong. It was just him.

"I'm sorry Charlotte, I didn't mean to touch a touchy subject for you."

"It's fine, just a man I thought I knew. Turns out he was just mean and horrible. A true devil in disguise he is. He was my fiancé, but don't tell anyone this okay?"

"I won't I promise." She stays quiet for a moment and then she gasps. "Was he the one that one night?!"

 I sigh quietly and look to the phone that sits on the counter top next to the sink. My heart sinks but beats faster. My body still fears his hand or even the mention of the night and the past I had with him. All those nights and days he would abuse me. If not with his hand then his words. Both cutting deep into my skin, heart and mind. All three have scars, but only one of them show. The evidence of his abuse. The other two are unseen and unheard by the world. 

"Yes he was."

"I'm so sorry Charlotte, I don't mean to bring up bad times. I'll stop now."

"It's fine Adella." I give a little smile at her honest words. She sounded sincere and hurt that I went through that, but I didn't want her pity or sadness. I just wanted happy moments from there on out. But nothing always goes as planned. I'll have my moments. 

"So since it's March I guess ya'll will be down here pretty soon. Landon will have a lot of cattle comin' his way. All the cows have given birth and the babies need to be feed and the crops need to be harvested."

"Woah I didn't know he did harvest. He doesn't tell me much about his work." 

"Maybe you have to ask."

"I have, and he just said I already knew what he did. Which is cattle but, he does more."

"Maybe you two need a little more alone time and quality time together. Another date!"

"I don't know, he's been real busy lately with Elliots' stuff and I think he should focus on that."

"Girl you are crazy. But I have to make food, so I'll talk to you later. Bye Charlotte!" 

"Bye Adella." I say giggling. She hangs up and I continue trying to make my grandma's molé. I remember how the house smelled like when she would make it. Everyone knew what she was making from the chile going through the house making it's way through each and every room.