The Rest Of Him

The next morning Moira came in with a steaming cup of coffee.
"I hope you like Irish blend." She said smiling.
I narrowed my eyes at her and raised my robotic hand to take the cup. Something didn't feel right. I haven't had a proper conversation with Moira yet, but I know she is never this cheery.
"Moira? Where is Jack?"
I saw her eyes widen for a split second. She lowered her cup and cleared her throat.
"He...um....well the explosion happend in the office, but..."
"Damn it O' Deorain! Where is he?!"
She sighed and stared at me solemnly.
"We never recovered his body."
I froze. I felt as if my heart stopped. I gritted my teeth and tried hard not to cry.
"What.....the hell happend? Did  Gabriel-"
"No, he did not plant the bomb. Someone else wanted Morrison dead. I-I am so sorry Y/N."
"I-I can't believe he is....gone."
"Gabriel planned to storm the building, but he never followed through. Just as he was about to go in the whole building blew. Reyes was exactly 10 feet from the bomb."
"So you found his body then?" I asked.
"Well, most of it."
I gasped and cringed at the mere thought of finding Gabriel in pieces.
"They.....are both.....gone?"
Moira was quiet. She turned to me and stared seriously.
"Y/N Reyes and I have been working on a project together. I want to show you."
A project? What kind of a project would Gabe be working on? I nodded and Moira helped me stand. As we walked down a cold hallway I took a better look at my new hands. I rolled them around and opened and closed them to get a better feel. Moira pressed her hand against a DNA scan er. A heavy metal door slid open. We walked down another dark hall and turned to a large one way window. The room on the other side was pure white. An airtight door leading into the room sat next to the window. A monitor above the window gave video footage of the room. I couldn't see much for a minute then all of a sudden a cloud of black smoke appeared in front of the window. I gasped nearly falling to the floor. The smoke cloud started to take shape. It turned into the figure of a person. It was faced away from the window. Although it looked like a person I could see faint smoke radiant off of it. The left arm turned to smoke as it was raised a bit. The figure looking down at its arm shook its head.
"What the hell is that?!" I exclaimed.
Moira pressed a few buttons ona hole tablet and looked up through the window. The figure turned to smoke and appeared at another corner of the white room.

"Y/N, that is what is left of Gabriel Reyes."

I stared at the figure through the window in shock. It started to take form again and turned. I could clearly see the scared expression of Gabriel on the figures face.
"Isn't he incredible?" Moira said.
Tears streamed down Gabriel's face. The side of it was withered. His skin was pale. He fell to the floor and grabbed his legs leaning against the wall.
"He has turned into the perfect specimen."

Gabriel looked like a dead man. I pressed my hands against the window. Mora's words made me sick. He's not a science project. I had never seen Gabriel so scared. His hands turned to smoke and lingered off his body. He looked down and stared at them in fear. His full eyes went wide and he let his head fall into his lap. I took deep breaths and turned to Moira.
"Let me in. I wanna see him."
She stared at me shocked.
"He is too unstable. Scared of his own body. He can't control his forms. What if he hurts you?!"
"I don't care! Let me in."
She sighed and pushed a button on the tablet. The airtight door opened. I stood in front of it and walked in. It closed behind me.
"Gabriel?"
He quickly looked up from his lap. His eyes widened and he quickly stood up.
"Y/N! Thank god."
The past didn't matter anymore. We lost everything, but found so.ething when we saw eachother. We were both in the presents of someone we knew. Someone we knew wasn't gone. I walked towards him. He too started walking forward. We got closer and closer. Gabriel looked relieved. I opened my arms to hug him, but just as we were about to meet his body hit me like smoke. He completely went through me. We both gasped. I coughed trying to get smoke out of face. I turned and Gabriel's body reformed behind me. He turned and stared surprised. His breath and voice were raspy. He reached out attempting to touch my arm, but it too turned to smoke and reformed.
"No! I-I can't touch you! No!"
He tried several times to reach out to me, but it was no use. I went to feel his chest, but my hand fell right through it.
"I can't touch you Y/N!"
"Calm down Gabe."
He stopped, tears building in his eyes.
"Think about what you want your hand to do. What form will it take?" I explained.
We looked at eachother intently. I held one hand up. He stared at it shocked.
"Your hands."
"I'm learning." I said.
He stared at me once more. His face lingering from itself a bit. He slowly raised his hand to mine. His fingertips touched mine. He sighed in relief and pressed his palm against my own.
"There you go." I said smiling.
Our hands turned to hold eachother. I felt his hand run up my arm. I shivered a bit from how cold he felt. His hand went to my shoulder. Gabe stared at me solemnly.
"I-I'm so sorry Y/N I never meant-"
"Gabe, it's ok. You didn't do anything wrong."
"Jack is gone because of me."
"No. You didn't want him dead. Someone else did. The explosion wasn't your fault."
I felt his thumb caress my cheek.
"I-I'm glad you're here." He said raspily.