Chapter 16: loosing faith

Valery sat down at the table for lunch, however concerned she was she couldn't show it. She didn't realize how big the family actually was, she was surprised by the size and the fact so many kidnapped people had just accepted the life. She was finally done, she was going to get herself and her unborn child out of the loop, she wasn't going to be kept any longer. She however knew with so many people around running could kill her. She had to remember the baby too, she had to keep the baby safe.

If she lost her child all of this would be for nothing, and she would die inside, she had lost everything already. She couldn't loose something like this, so important to her. Kayla sat beside her and squeezed her hand. She wanted to take her away too, the fact she was tricked into coming made Valery's blood boil.

Everyone began to chatter as they indulged in the meal before them. Plates piled with sweet treats, meat, fruits and vegetables littered the table. Valery always second guessed leaving when it came to leaving, at least everything except for the human meat. She didn't want to eat the meat, but was worried she would get in trouble for not eating at least a small slice.

Suddenly Carter stood up and everyone watched with question. "I just wanted to let everyone know that Valery and I are expecting."

The family began to chatter again, and Valery felt awkward, she was trying to make herself as small as possible. "Got names picked out yet?" One women asked.

"No, not yet. I sure am hoping for boys though." Carter replied back as he sat back down to kissed her. She silently ate food, avoiding meat as well as she could. She didn't love the taste of most meat, and human; despite it tasting much like and looking like bacon, she wasn't highly interested. Carter took notice and made sure to add a few extra things on her plate. "Need to keep our baby healthy." He said as he kissed her earlobe. She noticed that so much of the family wasn't turned off by the fact that they all shared their affection with one another. She felt it was weird, how loving everyone was around their siblings, parents, and cousins. Valery felt Carter run his hand up her leg as they were eating, she kicked him from under the table but he just laughed silently at her. She noticed how soft Harlee was with Kayla and she realized she got the wrong brother.

Harlee carefully set his hand on Kayla's wrist, he smiled at her as she ate, she picked out certain things but he took them for himself so she wouldn't have to eat them. Valery was upset by the fact Carter was so harsh to her. Valery grunted as he squeezed her thigh once again. She kicked at him again and he snarled. She whimpered at him, and he let her go for a moment. She whispered under her breath when Harlee got down on one knee, pulled out a ring (stolen from a women they had killed within the last few months) and cleared his voice.

"I know our family does not do this sort of thing a lot, but Kayla is special." He said with a smile. "Kayla will you marry me?"

Kayla gushed, and knew that she couldn't say no anyway. "Yes, Harlee of course." She said and the family cheered and clapped. Everyone knew what must be coming that night. Everyone but Kayla and Valery.

As the family finished lunch the kids went and played, Valery, Alex, and Kayla were sent to Carters room to read or talk for a while and the adults and teens older then 16 began to work on the blood baths for the girls. Anika was thinking about getting a wedding put together in the next few months and the family decided they wanted to try and stick around while that was going on, however they knew leaving a homestead unattended for that long could pose a threat to the entire family so they thought it over, and the families would rotate to watch the land until the day of the wedding.

Alex snickered at the girls as they got themselves seated in the room.

"Whats so funny Alex?"

"Nothing, just the fact they locked up all up in here like we are helpless children."