Past Sh!t

I've entered this story in the YuGiOh Wattys! Please vote, comment, whatever! If you like it.

Mai and I study for her bike test together. When she passes, she's gonna become a fully certified motorcyclist which means able to drive at night and on highways. Thankfully there isn't much theory in this one, since you need to get quite close to perfect to pass and that's worry her more if she had to do that again. I think the minimum passing score was 43/ 50 last time I checked. No, this test is all about showing reined skills in comparison to your original test. Though Mai already has a crash working against her.

"It's impressive how you can get back on the bike so quickly after that," I smile at her, reading one of her test papers. So far everything is correct. "I just know you're gonna do well,"

"I'm not scared of the bike," she smiles. "It was never the bike's fault I crashed, or even my ability to drive it, But you know that,"

"Yeah," I look away to ask the next question, prompted by her more than my own curiosity. "How are you doing mentally?"

"Me? I'm good hun, Joey's been really helping me - but I haven't been relying on him, which is good. But yeah, I'm, doing well," she gives me a supportive smile. Looking right into my eyes. I believe she's telling me the truth. Not the whole truth, but the truth nonetheless. "What about you? How are you doing with uni and with Akefia?"

"The wait for the exams is killing me," I chuckle. "I just wanna get my first year over with,"

"I can relate," she agrees. "And Akefia,"

I sigh and explain the situation to her. She listens intently but doesn't really react visually to a lot of the stuff I tell her. Just nods in understanding and once I finish she takes a second to respond. It's how I know she's really thinking abut it and giving me her best answer. I'm grateful to her for that. "I mean - it was your fault. But I think you gotta discuss this with him. Make some boundaries, a list of what is and isn't okay whether it be in the bedroom or your relationship,"

"Do you and Joey have one of those?"

"Are you kidding me?!" she snorts a laugh. "Joey is too vanilla to be ice cream. We don't need one. You guys do - trust me, it'll help if you both have trauma surrounding certain things,"

Like my aversion to knives. Akefia doesn't like guns. I don't like fire either. "Yeah, we need a list. Thank you,"

"No problem hun. Why have the gift of knowledge if you can't share it with the world?" she makes a very good point. "That's why I've decided to get an internship this summer. I'm going to be the assistant to a sec therapist, to learn from her,"

"Wow, that's great!" I congratulate her with a hug across the table, wishing I could have planned something more. Maybe given her a special pen so she can take notes during her internship, I don't now. "That's a great fit for you. Your voice is calm, you make people comfortable. You make people wanna open up to you,"

"Yeah," she laughs. You could never be a sex therapist. Your voice is too chirpy, you sound like a kids' TV character,"

"And today boys and girls, we're gonna learn why you don't compare your dick to a gun in bed!" I announce, using my coffee cup as a mic. It sends both of us into stitches of laughter.