State of Mind

Wow! The views on this Skyrocketed! Thanks so much

Of course this morning Akefia is hunched over his desk, scribbling. The desk is even messier than usual, drawings that seem beautiful to me torn up and scrunched into punishing paper balls, because to him they're inadequate. His laptop teeters precariously on the corner with Autodesk open and his equipment lies around the floor. I kneel down and pick up a compass, placing it gingerly on the one open space on the desk. I'm really not trying to clean his room, he could stab himself if he steps on a random compass lying around. "What're you working on?"

"My damn dissertation," he growls, angry at himself not me. Maybe because he skipped so many classes, and he needs to cram so hard now. The days are ticking by until December exams. "I need to get my folio pieces done and study for the written exam!"

"Failure to prepare is preparing to fail," I quip, something I heard a long time ago. I don't even notice I do it, but immediately realise how condescending and annoying I must sound. "Sorry, ignore me,"

"I always do," he sighs, and I hear a smile in his voice. He looks up at me and flashes me a smug grin. "Also, you have exams too. Shouldn't you be studying?"

"Oh, I don't have coursework like you, I don't have as much to revise," I explain.

"Yeah, but you have 3 subjects," he reminds me. "Two social sciences. That's a lot of material to memorise and a shit tonne of development in essays. You sure you shouldn't en studying?"

I huff at him, but admit he's right. I've been slacking a little. I think my body's actually quite numb, still in shock from the transition with moving country and my finances and my coursework. Throw a one-sided longing romance for my flat mate into the mix and I'm permanently going through a lot right now. I sigh. "Fine, you have a point. I'm gonna go revise now,"

"You can stay if you like,"

"You know how group 'study' sessions go with us. Not happening,"

"I didn't mean as a study session," Akefia closed his book. "I pretend to be a hard-ass about studying but what do I know? Don't listen to me. Instead, come here and we'll have a bed day,"

I don't feel like pointing out the irony of 'don't listen to me' then him ordering me around. Instead I just frown. "Bed day?" Wondering if I misheard.

"Like a pyjama day, we close the drapes, close the door, stay in our pyjamas and watch anime," he grins broadly like an excited child. "Melvin and I used to have these all the time when we were little,"

Huh. So Akefia and Melvin knew each other when they were little? But Melvin is Egyptian, I know because of his niche faith, but Akefia isn't Egyptian. Maybe one of them immigrated to the other's country y a young age, them came here? At any rate, I can push the thought from my heard for now and focus on Kefi. "Okay, sounds great! Lemme go get my things!"

I don't have pyjamas because I'm not a child like Akefia, so I instead throw on navy blue boxers and a black shirt. Descending again I see Akefia sitting on his bed, cross-legged in fluffy pyjamas, the shirt grey and light blue bottoms printed wig block white stars. It's super cute, I can't resist snapping a pic for insta. Ishizu likes it seconds after I post. "You look like a baby rabbit," I compliment him, observing the pile of leftover Halloween candy now on his bed he made appear from his secret hiding spot. I'm pretty sure that's just under his bed.