Everything is Okay

The next five days are dominated by lectures. I'm doing Bsc Psychology as my major, but then additionally Sociology and Philosophy as my minors. I was gonna take Theology but I'm done learning the monotonous history of religious culture, ripping out my hair studying religious texts. I want to get as far away from that rigid bullshit as possible, and take solace in the freedom of critical, philosophical thinking. Other than that, my life is uneventful. My clothes got clean so I wore them Tuesday and Wednesday, and Akefia hasn't asked for his stuff back yet. Mai prefers my own clothes anyway, complimenting my favourite shirt. Friday swings around and I have a day off, finally. Although I'm not sure what I can do without money. Mai wants me to go shopping with her, and I feel bad for blowing her off all the time cause of my money situation.

I do some core exercises - sit-ups and push ups mostly, to keep myself strong. In the Temple is wile away the hours improving my body, making myself stronger and more capable. I want to keep that up here - I'll go to the uni gym as soon as I can afford the 1-time $10 for a student membership. Until then, it's just sit in my small, bare bedroom I'm unable to decorate. I'm so constrained without money.

I text Ishizu.

Hey, Ishizu. 👋

Marik! How's uni? ☺️ xxx

Good. I made a friend. I like all my professors. 😁 buuuut I have an issue I debate whether or not to tell her this, she's still confused about sexuality, having learned nothing of it until we could leave the temple. She's questioning herself but won't know more until she's further along in her therapy.

What issue? I'm here 4 you xxx

It's a guy...

Ohhhh can I call? Xxx

Sure.

A few seconds later I get a voice call on WhatsApp from Ishizu. I answer it and can hear her excitement over the phone. "Marik, how are you?! I miss you, my brother!" She sounds happy, so I decide not to ask her about her recovery or her therapy. When we escaped the Temple we lived in a hospital and had a support group which helps people indoctrinated into cults, I recovered a lot quicker than either of them and Ishizu still hasn't been discharged. It kills her to stay in that place every day.

"Good, sister!" I encourage her. "I love my lectures. My new friend, Mai, we clicked right away. But, there's a boy..."

"Tell me," Ishizu demands, making me laugh.

"His name is Akefia. He's so...damn enthralling, Ishizu! Mysterious and hot and you should see his body! And his hair is such a striking colour and he-"

"Slow down," she chuckles. "You said you had an issue with him. What is it?"

"Oh, that," I shrug despite being alone. "I just don't think he likes me. He's angry, I guess. Something I did, but I don't know what,"

"Oh, I don't understand," Ishizu sighs. I knew she wouldn't, I shouldn't have mentioned this.

"I know, it's okay," I change the subject. "Did you manage to get Netflix yet?"

After the phone call I go downstairs to get breakfast. I asked Sugoroku to get me some bananas so I can make smoothies. I hope he did. On my way I pass Akefia's room, but the door is closed. I must assume he's holed up in there like a hermit. Descending to the kitchen I freeze in the doorway. Akefia is in there, drinking a can of Monster and leaning on the counter. I can't run off now, so as casually as possible I walk in.

He doesn't look up, but the tension grows thick as I know he notices me. I stiffen as I walk past him, counting by the seconds that feel like lightyears as I pick bananas from the fridge, trying to be as silent as possible as I put them in the - crap! The blender makes noise - along with skim milk. I press the button and watch him frown in annoyance with the noise, like I'm such a damn burden.