Chapter 24

Tuesday, September 15, 2020
1:22 AM

Nia didn't really want to give up on Jameer and Anaya. She was just so tired of them ganging up against her and always making it seem like she was mistreating them. She was in her room, duffle bag open, clothes halfway inside before she just found herself breaking down.

This friendship stuff was so complicated. Jameer and Anaya were like sisters to her. And they have never fought like this before.

Jameer and Anaya peered at her through the doorway.

"So you really leaving?". Jameer asked softly.

"I don't want to. But y'all are driving me crazy. I feel like every move I make y'all just gang up on me for it. I'm not tryna replace y'all wit Angel and Delaney. I just met them in class and we clicked". Nia wiped her tears away.

Anaya and Jameer felt horrible. They thought Nia was just being a bitch to them.

They came over and pulled her into a hug.

"We're sorry Nia". Anaya cried.

"I'm sorry too". Nia sniffled.

They stayed there for a few minutes.

"I think we need some time apart". Nia spoke.

"What do you mean Nia?". Jameer pulled away.

"We have spent all of high school together. No outside friends. Just us. And that's all we've become. Just us. And once one of us makes friends outside, all hell breaks loose. We just need time to find ourselves outside of each other". Nia continued.

"So your leaving?". Anaya questioned.

She nodded.

"For how long?". Jameer asked.

"I don't know. Maybe a week or two". Nia sighed standing up.

"Ok. We can respect". Jameer hugged her firmly.

Anaya hugged her again and then they both left the room.

Nia sighed looking back at her half full duffle bag.

"Bae you good?". Roscoe asked coming in.

"I don't know". Nia huffed as she finished packing.

She zipped up her bag and turned to Roscoe.

"Can I stay wit chu for a week or two?". She asked.

He pulled her toward him.

"You can stay wit me forever if you want it baby girl". He kissed her nose making her smile a little.

She picked her bag up and went into the living room.

Anaya and Jameer were talking amongst themselves.

"I'll see y'all later". Nia sighed.

They stood up and hugged her.

"I love y'all. So much". Nia hugged them back.

They let go and Nia and Roscoe headed for the door.

*
The couple arrived at Shaun and Roscoe's apartment and went upstairs.

Roscoe unlocked the door and Shaun was watching a movie.

"Hey-what happened?". Shaun asked looking at Nia's tear streaked face and the duffle bag in her hand.

"I decided to take a break from Jameer and Anaya". Nia gave him a weak smile.

"What happened now?". Shaun got up from the couch.

"People change. Situations change. And sometimes you change for the better and the people around you stay the same. I'm not on all this negativity, like back in highschool we used to live for drama. I just don't have space for that in my life anymore. With Jameer and Anaya it's always a constant battle these days. I just can't stay in a space where everything is stacked against me". Nia explained.

"I feel you". Shaun agreed.

Nia felt so drained. All she wanted to do right now was shower and spend time with Roscoe.

She dragged herself to the bathroom and showered. There was confetti and glitter in her hair.

"I look a mess". She spoke to herself.

She washed her hair and braided it down. She put on some pajamas and went into Roscoe's room.

He noticed her puffy eyes and her face was flushed.

He walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her.

"It's gonna work out babe. I promise". He kissed her forehead.

Roscoe knew exactly what would make her feel better.

He got his phone and played Best Part by H.E.R and Daniel Caesar.

"Aww babe it's our song". Nia cooed.

"I know. Dance wit me". He extended his arms.

Nia loved slow dancing. Especially to this song. It was the first song they ever danced to on their first date.

She took his hands and they swayed slowly to the song.

"When we wake up and we make love, it makes me feel so niceeeee". Roscoe sang to her.

Nia was on cloud nine right now. Not only was he dancing with her but he was singing to her. It was like he could make all her worries go away.

"If you love me won't say something, if love won't chu". He kissed her forehead.

"I love you so much". Nia grinned.

Roscoe knew she was starting to feel better. All the girls really needed was some time apart to let this die down and once they see how stupid all this is, they'll be back to normal.