Chapter 14

Monday, September 8, 2020

10:07 PM

The group had gotten Jameer to the hospital and she quickly got a room. She was only dilated two centimeters so it wasn't even close to pushing time.

As soon as Jameer got settled in her room, she asked the nurse for an epidural to quickly numb the pain. 

Nia gave her a back massage as she ate ice chips, the rest of the group were in the room watching tv.

"Nia?". Jameer turned to Nia.

"Hm?". Nia looked at her.

"Could you do me a favor?". Jameer asked her.

"Yeah. Anything". Nia stood to her feet.

"I need you to call Boston. And tell him I'm in labor". Jameer handed Nia her phone.

"Ok". Nia took the phone and went out into the hallway.

She dialed Boston's number and hoped he would pick up.

"Hello?". Boston answered.

"Boston? It's me, Nia. I'm calling you to let you know Jameer's in labor. She wanted me to call you". Nia explained. She really needed Boston to step up. If not during the nine months, then definitely now.

"Listen, Nia. I got a lot going for me right now. I'm playing college ball in New York. I might even get signed in a couple years. What happened between me and Jameer, it was fucked up on my part. Just tell her I'm sorry, for everything". Boston replied.

"Look, she'll be the last person to admit it but she needs you. She needs you to be there for your child. Your child needs you Boston". Nia tried to persuade him to be a good father.

There was silence on his end then the phone hung up.

"Hello? Boston? Hello?". Nia looked at the phone. 

She knew Jameer would be heartbroken at the fact that Boston knocked her up and then left their child. But, it is what it is.

Nia walked back into the room and Jameer turned to her.

"He isn't coming". Nia held Jameer's hand.

Jameer dropped her head.

"He wants you to know he's sorry. For everything. But before I could give him a piece of my mind he hung up". Nia rubbed Jameer's back.

"Thanks for trying Nia. It really means a lot". Jameer still had a hint of hurt in her voice.

Jameer's doctor, Dr. Salvoy, came back in to check to see if she had dilated anymore, she had dilated two more centimeters for a total of four centimeters. Which still meant it wasn't time to push.

"Hang in there Jameer, baby girl gone come soon". Anaya held her hand and reassured her.

"I hope so. These contractions are killer". Jameer winced as another contraction had come on.

"Imma go get chu some more ice chips". Nia stood up.

"No! Nia I need you to stay with me. Shaun can you get me more ice chips?". Jameer gripped Nia's arm.

"Uh-sure". Shaun stood and left the room.

"Actually, can everybody give me a minute to talk to Nia please". Jameer insisted.

Everybody stood up and left the room.

Nia sat in the chair that Jameer was facing.

"What's wrong babe". Nia used a tissue to wipe Jameer's eyes.