Chapter 9

Saturday, September 7, 2019
7:22 AM

Today, the girls were starting work. They would be working at the campus library.

"I already hate this job and I'an even get there yet". Anaya frowned down at the ugly green shirt.

"Well, at least we got a job to cover this apartment. Cause I'on know what we would've did if these positions wasn't open". Nia put her hair in a bun on top of her head and applied some lipgloss.

"At least y'all ain't carrying a baby". Jameer came into the bathroom yawning. 

"Yeah yeah yeah. My lil god baby is big chilling right now". Nia rubbed Jameer's belly.

The girls got pop tarts for breakfast and left the house.

"Girl look at Roscoe and Shaun in the damn parking lot". Anaya pointed to Roscoe and Shaun who were outside in the parking lot.

"What are y'all doing here?". Nia smiled at Roscoe.

"I came to give my baby some lunch for work". He handed her a tupperware container filled with lemon pepper chicken, rice, and black beans.

Shaun handed one to Jameer and one to Anaya.

"Awww y'all cooked for us? That is so sweet". Nia kissed Roscoe's cheek.

"Don't mention it. I had to take care of my baby". Roscoe kissed her forehead.

"Ok. We'll meet y'all for dinner after work. We get off at five". Nia yawned.

"Ok. I love you". Roscoe kissed her again.

"I love you too! Bye Shaun". Nia waved as she got in the car.

"I really hope this lil library job ain't trash. I would actually like to keep our apartment". Nia yawned again.

"Right. And I hope Mrs. Hartington ain't on no bullshit. She seemed nice when she was hiring us". Jameer commented.

"I think she's nice". Nia opinionated.

They pulled up to the library and got out.

Mrs. Hartington was waiting for them outside.

She was an old brittle white woman. She had wrinkles and sun spots all over her body. Her hair was white as snow, fixed into a white sleek bun at the back of her head.

"Good morning girls! Ready to get some work done?". Ms. Hartington was animated.

The three nodded and Ms. Hartington gave them looks of disapproval.

"Open your mouths. God gave them to you for a reason". She placed her hands on her hips.

The three exchanged looks, all knowing what they wanted to say.

"Yes, Mrs. Hartington". They replied in unison.

"Good. Come along there is lots to do". Ms. Hartington turned on her heel and walked into the library doors.

*
12:44 PM

It had been a long morning of Ms. Harrington showing the girls the ropes. Nia was on return duty, she had to scan all the returned books back into the system and put them back onto the shelves. Jameer was on desk duty, she would help people obtain library cards and help them with questions. Anaya was on shelf duty, she would make sure books were neatly on the shelves and that they were in the right places, she would also help people locate books they were looking for.

Ms. Hartington was overseeing everything.

"I swear bro how many fucking books do bitches take from this damn library I been scanning all day". Nia spoke to Anaya as she put the returned books back into their places.